A set of Yokohama Avid TRZ ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...will be installed on my '06 Focus company car this week.
A very good rating at Tire Rack.
The stock GoodYear Eagle RSA are shot at 30K miles.
What a #@$%! tire.
Why would Ford put a 260 treadwear 195/60/15 tire on an economy car?
Nevermind..I know...cost.

You'll love the TRZs, especially compared to the Badyears. I had the RSAs on our Quest and they lasted only 23K. Very poor wet weather performance, squirmy, noisy and hard to keep well balanced. I hated them. The TRZs were a breath of fresh air (or rubber). Excellent traction both wet and dry. Quiet, smooth rolling and haven't had any balance issues over the past 20K. They started at 11/32s and now are at 7/32s and wearing very evenly. My father-in-law just put a set in the same size as yours on their Elantra. Replaced the factory Michelin MXVs and he couldn't be happier. Said they were just a bit over half the price of a replacement set of the Michelins. Better tire at a bargain price, can't go wrong.

Quote:

You'll love the TRZs, especially compared to the Badyears. I had the RSAs on our Quest and they lasted only 23K. Very poor wet weather performance, squirmy, noisy and hard to keep well balanced. I hated them. The TRZs were a breath of fresh air (or rubber). Excellent traction both wet and dry. Quiet, smooth rolling and haven't had any balance issues over the past 20K. They started at 11/32s and now are at 7/32s and wearing very evenly. My father-in-law just put a set in the same size as yours on their Elantra. Replaced the factory Michelin MXVs and he couldn't be happier. Said they were just a bit over half the price of a replacement set of the Michelins. Better tire at a bargain price, can't go wrong.

Sounds great.
I actually have 28,500 on the odometer.
Cost of the TRZ will be $336 + tax installed from a ETD chain tire dealer here in Jersey.
Another ETD dealer wanted another $10 per tire.
crazy.gif

Quote:

Sorry for the ignorance, ETD? Curious what you're doing after reading your Tire Rack thread.

I read Tire Rack's reviews on tires.
I've ordered from TR a few times.
Three good orders and one problem order.
Easier using a local tire dealer for the company vehicle.

Last edited:
They are great tires. Have them on my wife's 850 Turbo wagon. She is a long range commuter and racks up a lot of miles. I got tired of the high performance tires wearing out so quick. These are very good tires for her needs.

They are very good tires. I had the Avid touring and loved them. I'm sure that the TRZ's are a much improved version.

I have them on our CRV in a plus size. They will wear great for you. Incredible wet traction. Not so much in snow. Consider the Kumho ASX too, but the TRZ is awesome. I might go back to Conti Extreme next year.

AU- You like the Contis over the TRZs? No experience with the Extremes, but never had luck with any Continentals. Conti-Sport, Conti-Sport 2, Conti-SUVs and Conti-Tourings, never really warmed up to any of them. Just me I suppose since others have really liked them
dunno.gif

I've been thinking of these tires as well. However, I read one tirerack review stating that these tires follow/wander over groved highway. This is the reason why I'm wishing to get rid of my BadYear Eagle LSs. All of our interstate (which I travel) daily has major groves.

AU-Nice reviews. They are alittle to high on the performance scale for the van though, and don't come in the right size.

Really won't need snows after this year because of the move south, but I may still need a good ice tire. The Blizzaks are still holding up well and haven't gotten to the point were they turn into basically an all-season tire. If they stay this way, the TRZs will stay on the van unless we anticipate an icing. Then the Blizzaks will go on til the storm has past and things return normal. I've become very good at changing tires and can have all 4 done in less than 30 minutes using just a floor jack and hand tools.

Quote:

I've been thinking of these tires as well. However, I read one tirerack review stating that these tires follow/wander over groved highway. This is the reason why I'm wishing to get rid of my BadYear Eagle LSs. All of our interstate (which I travel) daily has major groves.

I have a couple of hundred miles on them and have no wander issues.
The tires seem nice though a bit noisey.
I think I'd like a higher end tire on my '07 Camry,though.
Haven't driven in wet weather or snow yet.

Colt-If you like the Yokos and want to stick with the brand, the Avid H4s are dynamite performance A/Ss. Had them on a Civic a couple years back and they had excellent performance. Very good snow traction, good on ice, and super in the wet. When the roads dried out, great handling without the typical A/S squirminess. Great stopping ability too. About the only complaint was they wore kinda quickly when the temps got above 70. Still relatively inexpensive compared to my new favorite performance A/S tire, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/Ss. Sister has those on her S4 and they rock!

Quote:

Colt-If you like the Yokos and want to stick with the brand, the Avid H4s are dynamite performance A/Ss. Had them on a Civic a couple years back and they had excellent performance. Very good snow traction, good on ice, and super in the wet. When the roads dried out, great handling without the typical A/S squirminess. Great stopping ability too. About the only complaint was they wore kinda quickly when the temps got above 70. Still relatively inexpensive compared to my new favorite performance A/S tire, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/Ss. Sister has those on her S4 and they rock!

Sounds like more of a tire I'd buy for my Camry.
I already bought the TRZ.
I'm sure the company doesn't want to spend more for tires.

About the TRZ's...
I checked the air pressure this morning and they were down 5 lbs from the correct pressure.
Probably due to under inflation by the tire shop and the very cold weather.
Added the 5 lbs and the tires are more quiet than yesterday.
All in all not a bad tire at this point.
Tomorrow snow.rain is forcast so many I'll get a chance to se how they do in wet weather.

Snow traction update:
The Avid TRZ's were pretty good today in the sleety,snowy roads today in Jersey.
Not as good as a A/T or pure snow tire but surprisingly pretty good on the company Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back