Die grinder air tool freezing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to use my die grinder in the cold weather. My air compressor is in the shed and it's really cold outside. Having a propane heater in the shed does help somewhat but the tool still freezes up. What can I do to prevent this from happening. Would an air filter that removes water attached in line to my compressor help. What about an air tool oil that prevents freezing.

Yes, a water separating filter is what you need. Also, you do not want to attach the separator close to the tank as the air is too hot and the water molecules to small. The water needs time to condense and form larger droplets. I have about 20 feet of copper tube and then a large water/oil separator and filter.

I agree with 1040 Wreckerman. I had a big water seperator in my shop air. In the summer, I used to chill it and we had to drain it every couple of hours.

I don't have room for copper pipe so, I'm going to place a water seperator at the end of my 50' hose, then from the seperator use a 25' coil hose to attach to the air tool. I would think that should work too.

Something like the new Wix Aquacheck might work nicely. I'm guessing the propane heater you mentioned is non-vented. It could be contributing to your moisture issues since one of by byproducts of combustion is water. Then this moisture laden air gets sucked in by your compressor.

I did a search on the Wix Aquacheck. Looks like a nice setup. It states that it filters down to 5 microns. Looking at the installation on model ACK10 which is a 1/4" inlet/outlet, would I have to retap the threads to accept 3/8" fittings? Is there enough metal on the unit to do this? Anyone know? Here's the link that I got the info from.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ack.aspx

I'm sure Pablo could hook you up with an Aquacheck.

I went with the ACK20 since it wasn't that much more expensive than the ACK10 and also it's a larger filter so hopefully it will last longer. And it has 1" pipe fittings. Sizes larger than the ACK20 get expensive fast.

Based on the ACK20, I don't think there's enough metal to retap. It's aluminum and it's pretty thin already.

If you go with the Aquacheck I'd definitely suggest the install kit. The filter mounting base thread size is essentially Wix proprietary from what I can tell.
wixfilter1.jpg

Yep. Drying the air out or warming it up are your only two choices. Pretty neat how plain old air works as a refrigerant if you expand enough of it across an orifice or through a 'pump'.

Joel

Quote:

You can buy disposable in-line filter/dryer units at any paint or autobody type store. Goright at tool and work really well.
bob

I was looking at other air filters besides the Wix, but they only go down to about 40 microns. Where the Wix is 5 microns. Not sure if 40 would be enough. I don't want to spend more then the cost of what the Wix is.

I really need to know if the 1/4" Wix setup can be tapped out to 3/8", if not then I'll have to try the 40 micron unit. The Wix looks the best for the money so far.

Quote:

I really need to know if the 1/4" Wix setup can be tapped out to 3/8"

I doubt the aluminum is thick enough for it. The ACK20 is only like $10 more and has 1" fittings which would be easily bushed to 3/8"

Quote:

Quote:

uhhmn open the petcock on the tank and drain it. Use MMO to lube the grinder before and after use.

I have drained the tank and I do use MMO.

Before you go to all the effort of new plumbing for your air system at least try a different air tool oil. I used to use MMO in air tools years ago. It does not work very well as a air tool lube from my experience, especially in cold weather. I now use Campbell air tool lube. It made a big difference in air tool performance for me.

try using a gycol based anti freeze as a air line oil a few drops or add to oil lubricator it WILL stop freezing we make one for the large pavement brakers and they feed this gycol based fluid i the lubricator and it will not freze in snow.
bruce

I just ordered a bottle of this stuff. It should be here by the end of week. I'll let you know how it works.

Coilhose Pneumatics ATL016W
Anti-Freeze Air Tool Lubricant
Specially formulated to provide protection at temperatures below 40° for air tools and cylinders
Removes moisture
Prolongs tool life
Keeps tools protected in storage
Frees stuck or frozen tools
Avoids unnecessary service
Reusable seal inside pour cap prevents leakage

Quote:

I just ordered a bottle of this stuff. It should be here by the end of week. I'll let you know how it works.

Coilhose Pneumatics ATL016W
Anti-Freeze Air Tool Lubricant
Specially formulated to provide protection at temperatures below 40° for air tools and cylinders
Removes moisture
Prolongs tool life
Keeps tools protected in storage
Frees stuck or frozen tools
Avoids unnecessary service
Reusable seal inside pour cap prevents leakage

Just got this stuff today. It works great!
smile.gif
I was running my die grinder for 20 min. and no freezing. I'm still going to get a water filter.

Just thought you guys would like to know the results of the product.

When I use to uas a die grinder for a long period of time in the winter, if it would freeze up, I'd just put it on top of the compressor. The compressor was hot from running so much, so it'd melt the ice inside. Gave the compressor some break time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back