Used Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
For several months, my tire sales have been slightly up from the past. But sales are not generating nearly enough used tires to supply demand. Used 13's and 14's are nearly nonexistant, with 15's almost as bad. Partly to blame is new cars now coming with low profile tiree on larger diameter wheels. These new size used tires are so expensive that vehicle owners are running them to disposal point before replacing so there are few of them available as used tires. Also, seems money's tight for many, and many people are retaning their old tires for kinfolk and friends. So this past week I took delivery of 775 used tires from a sorting operation in northern Michigan. Tires are brought to be sorted from Costco, Sam's Clubs, Walmart, and Pepboys. Even at $7.00 ea. for all sizes and tread depths (measure 40-60% original tread depth) this is a fairly large investment for used merchandise, plus had to rent additional storage space.

Between frenzied offload of delivery truck, then sorting, sizing and orderly stacking,handling this many tires by my son and I, while other employee kept shop in operation has about whipped my @$$ !
box.gif
tombstone.gif

Bob

Bob,

The company I work for just released a statement on used tires - basically slaming them. The big issues were tires that were old, worn out, punctured, repaired, and otherwise shouldn't be returned to service. I'm hoping that your guys do at least a cursory look to see if the tires are suitable for service.

Know there are liability issues. But each tire will be submerged after mount to check for leaks. Also visual for obvious separations.

Bob

If the customer wants used tires, they will get them where ever they can. So supply them. We have multiple _used_ tire shops here, they are not shuttering up and from the looks of things in the parking lots, they won't be for a long time.

Alex.

I wrote a thread on this long ago - how it is a BAD situation that there are such pricey, low profile tires on cars. Not because I advocate used tires in any way (If you cant afford the replacement, don't buy the car/look), but because people will overpush their tires due to their replacement cost - effecting roadworthyness, safety, and inclement weather traction.

Unfortunately this seems to be turning into the case - prices arent coming down fast enough to keep up with replacement needs with safety in mind, for the average joe.

JMH

Really does bother me when usually young people/couples come in in their recently traded for pride and joy and discover that the last owner probably traded when he discover how much replacement tire were gonna cost. They're making the payment, covering their outrageous insurance payments, just scraping by and now being told a new set of tires are gonna bust $500.!

Bob

I look at it from the perspective of how much is my safety really worth. For that reason I have summer and winter tires and usually replace them before they are down to the cords.

I find tires a little bit tough. I want to have good tread and am willing to replace but I also know tire are not recyclable, so I hope someone else is willing to put that last 15-20,000 miles on my old tires.

Outfits like walmart, and tirerack, discounttire are really beating up the little guy.

Price some tires out at walmart, they are very very cheap.

Most people go based on price, not tire quality.

Are you in a section of Arkansas that gets not much snow? I bet a lot of those north Michiganers run all seasons then discard them when the snow performance goes south... probably at 5/32 or so?

Send us your rust free cars, I'll send you my half treaded tires.
cheers.gif

When I had a 5.0 Mustang lowered with springs, the front tire wore uneven due to the negative camber.

I had to buy used tires and I never had any bad experiences with used tires that had 50% thread depth left.

With all the visitors from south of the border there will always be a boombing business in used anything for a car. There are used tire shops all over the place. Some visitors are pickie and want all four tires about the same size, but with all the stores it's never a problem. They do have a tire warning system, though. When it goes bang and starts flapping they know it's time for another tire.

My brother-in-law lives in a semi-rural area with a local shop that retreads tires. He had them put 4 new retreads on his pickup. I looked at the sidewalls. All were from different venders and three were of different sizes. He went back to them and they said I did't know what I was talking about since they adjust each tire to rotate at the same speed as part of their retread process. So you see, there is an option out there for folks who can't afford new tires and don't want used tires. LOL

Richard.

used tires aren't worth it to me, I paid $20 for one when I was stranded on the interstate 40 in poodunk town TN several years ago. got me home, but I got another flat on that same tire two weeks later. New tire for a 13incher was 89 bucks at this podunk shop. place was a rip off. walmart sells 40 buck tires for that car at the time. 175 70r 13

I've bought a few used tires and generally have had good luck with them. I normally buy a new set of four at the same time so that they can all wear down together. But occasionally you'll ruin a tire when the set is fairly new, so I'll get a used one to replace that one.

i try to buy used tyres whenever i can. my dad hasnt bought new tyres sence he bought his last new car, back in 1980?

hes been using used tyres for 26 years.

You can also get take-off tires from people that ditch their new car tires right away. Take-off tires used to be not much better than rim protectors, but today a lot of cars come with really good tires, that the new owner does not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back