05 Jetta TDI Amsoil 3000 5W/30 20868 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an oil report for a 2005 Jetta TDI. The report states that here is 40,868 miles on the oil. This is incorrect. There are actually 58,911 miles on the car and 20,868 miles on this sample of oil. The car also had the Amsoil bypass filters installed when this oil was put in.

This is not my vehicle, I'm just posting for a friend.

The Amsoil rep claimed that with the by-pass filters installed he could run the oil for 50K miles before it needed changing. I guess not.

All comments are welcome.

10.jpg

The Amsoil rep claimed that putting bypass filters on a Cummins, Duramax, PSD, etc could allow me to go 200k between an oil change too..
smirk.gif

That oil was done a long time ago. Change the oil and replace both filters, then retest in 5k or so. I would also give Amsoil 5W40 a try instead as these engines seem to benefit from a thicker oil.

I would put in the correct 505.01 compatible Amsoil 5W40 along with a new cartridge oil filter and a new Ea Bypass filter. Test after 5000 miles, but normally, I think replacing Amsoil 5W40 every 10k miles along with the cartridge oil filter and replacing the bypass filter at every other change is a good step.

I'm not sure what oil would use for extended service intervals in this engine...the oil requirements for this PD engine are very peculiar and just putting "any" oil into this engine will not do.

As the others stated, he went too far on the wrong oil. I don't think the engine is ruined or anything, but I would flush the engine out. Run a couple short intervals along with an AutoRx clean.

Amsoil will not stand behind him. Use the recommended oil for the correct OCI.

This engine calls for an oil meeting the VW 505.01 specification and the Series 3000 is NOT the correct Amsoil product for this application. Their 5w-40/AFL is the product to use in this case.

I'd flush out the engine with the Amsoil engine flush for 20-30 minutes, to remove any of the old oil residues from the engine. Then I'd install the Amsoil 5w-40 and analyze it after 10,000 miles. If the bypass filter is correctly installed, you should be able to run 15,000 miles with this combination in the VW/PD engine.

As for these results, I see a couple of things, even with the wrong oil installed. In particular, the presence of potassium and sodium indicate a small coolant leak into the oil, which has depleted the TBN. I'm also guessing this bypass filter was run too long and is completely clogged and this is contributing to the elevated wear metals.

TD

Quote:

Here is an oil report for a 2005 Jetta TDI. The report states that here is 40,868 miles on the oil. This is incorrect. There are actually 58,911 miles on the car and 20,868 miles on this sample of oil.

I suspect the wear was not linear -- the oil worked okay for possibly 10k miles, then not so well, and was overdue for a change at least 5k miles ago.

The Amsoil 3000 is a good motor oil but not for TDI PD engines.... AFL or DEO. Probably AFL.

TR,

I strongly suspect that the CJ-4 rated, Amsoil 5w-40/HDEO will outperform their 5w-40, European oil in the VW/PD application. I base this on a comparative test of these oils in an older VW Passat TDI, where DEO performed much better. The DEO is about 10% thicker than "AFL" and the additive chemistry required for CJ-4 is more robust than VW 505.01.

Though I certianly am no stickler for running the weight of oil that is factory recommended( key word) ..I believe 5w40 is needed to protect your cam lobes.....

Quote:

Though I certianly am no stickler for running the weight of oil that is factory recommended( key word) ..I believe 5w40 is needed to protect your cam lobes.....

The Series 3000 5w30 is a relatively thick 30-weight, so that is not necessarily a problem.

It is the wrong Amsoil product for a TDI engine with the pumpe duse (PD) injection system. And it was run far too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back