Bridgestone RE960

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a set of these. I was looking at the Falken 512's and Kumho SPT's. I decided to spend $30.00 more a tire and pick up the RE960's. They have a UTQG of 400, AA Traction, A Temp. They are rated #1 in their class on TireRack, Ultra High Performance All Season. I been happy with them so far. I know Bridgestone makes duds also. Most of the OEM Bridgestone's are #@$%!. The RE960's are made in Japan still.

I have owned the RE950's around six years ago. They were great in the rain up here in the Northwest. I hope thr RE960's that replaced the RE950's will be just as good in the rain.

tire1-1.jpg

I've got a set on my WRX (205/55R16). I'm hoping they don't show the same inner shoulder wear that I found on my Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. They were theoretically all-season tires, but that tread wasn't all that great in the snow.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not that concerned with absolute handling and steering response. I will take my car up to the Sierras, so handling light snow better than those Pirellis would be a plus, as well as a smoother ride.

I currently have michelin exalto all seasons on a 2004 honda accord 2.4 cylinder, and have been happy with the tires as they provide good handling with a fairly comfortable ride. I want to try the Bridgestone 960's next time. How do they drive on the highway? I have a 50 mile commute predominantly highway and while the exalto's are not as comfortable as the energy tires, it is not so dramatic or harsh.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on them. They seem to be quieter then my last set of tires at the same mileage. I drive 48 miles roundtrip to work. My main factor in buying these were the AA traction. I need a good rain tire up here in Portland.

Quote:

I currently have michelin exalto all seasons on a 2004 honda accord 2.4 cylinder, and have been happy with the tires as they provide good handling with a fairly comfortable ride. I want to try the Bridgestone 960's next time. How do they drive on the highway? I have a 50 mile commute predominantly highway and while the exalto's are not as comfortable as the energy tires, it is not so dramatic or harsh.

My experience with them is in the W-speed rated version (205/55R16) on my 2004 WRX. They're not perfectly quiet, but not terribly noisy brand new. I've got about 2500 miles on them. Maybe they're not the best handling tire in its class, but they're sold at a lower price than many of their competitors (Pilot Sport A/S) and have been tested to be really good in wet and ice performance for an A/S tire. The Tire Rack's testing were in my size, although it was done on a RWD BMW with traction control.

I also bought a set of those Pilot Exalto A/S (205/65R15) as a gift for my folks' 2001 Camry. Those are an H-rated version and the comparison may not be apples to apples. I find those to provide decent handling for a family car, but perhaps aren't the most quiet. They're still quieter than the RE960AS, but that could be a perception from differences in the cars (an AWD performance sedan compared to a better sound-deadened family sedan).

I would suspect that the RE960AS is overall a higher performance tire than the Exalto A/S in most sizes.

Nice tires. I had a set of RE950's on a 9-5 and loved them. The RE960 was very high on my list of new tires for my Q45 but I went with Michelin Pilot Exalto's because I could not beat the price (Costco + $60 rebate).

Keep us posted on the 960's.

don't these Bridgestone RE960 have multicell unit-t compaund in them that Bridgstone using in many of their tires lately? and these tires are great till that compaund wears out and then tire become nothing special? Or they great all the way to the end??? Any experienced users?

I a lot more interested in real users reviews and long term tests than in bridgestone info, which is still largely an advertising.

I had the RE950s with the same Uni-T and traction was great throughout the wear. Wet traction was great even when the wear markers were showing. I was really impressed in how they handled heavy rain when they were very worn down. I plan on getting the 960s this spring.

Approaching 25k on an Avalon with them. Good wear, great wet and dry handling/braking. So so in the snow just like me.

Hmmmm, I'm now thinking about Bridgestones on the impala and cavalier instead of Dunlops. I'll check prices and let you know what I decide. The impala tires come before the cav. Brakes on that are a priority, as though egg shaped the tires still have a bit of tread still on them. The goodyears on the impala though...
driving.gif
followed by
shocked.gif

I wish there was a heads up comparo on these vs. Tire Rack's Avon M550s. Yes, I know they beat the Avons slightly according to their customer's ratings/opinions, but I'm talking a real, controlled, test/comparison.

I've decided for now (sale prices that may come up when taxes come back are ultimate deciding factor) for Dunlops on the Impala and Bridgestones on the Cavasmear.

I have michelin exalto As on 04 2.4 accord and have been pleased with handling and ride characteristics. I did lose some gas mileage and ride comfort compared with energy S-8. I could get to 400 miles on spedometer with S-8's before light came on and now get to about 350 miles. I think I will try the Bridgestone 960's as I was impressed with their ice traction index of 75 on tirerack where they compared bridgestone summer, performance all season (960's), performace winter, and hard core winter tires. The 960's stopping distance was almost identical to the perfromance winter tire, which impressed me. I think they will handle better than exalto's. I just hope ride comfort remains similar and I do not lose further gas mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back