Adding lube oil to diesel fuel for lubricity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

I see a lot of people are still doing this..anybody have any real answers aside from " i've been doing it all my life, and it hasn't blown up yet"?

Here goes..

what effect would adding a lower BTU oil do to the cetane of the fuel, not to mention the btu of said fuel?

what about the calcium or metal additives under injection pressure? would they lead to any injector coking when the fuel heats up?

Would particulates be increased?

What about the esters used for seal conditioning(swelling )? would they affect the rubber parts in the fuel pumps over time?

Lots of guys just say "use a two stroke oil..it's designed to burn"..don't they also have esters, solvents and metals and calcium? and wouldn't they also be subject to high fuel temps in common rail systems seeing 20,000 psi?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom

I saw a study useing 2%.
It didn't cause the engines to ware any faster.
It did cause particulates to increase a lot.
I don't think I would put used motor oil in a common rail system.
I have tested it in all kinds of different diesel engines, all low pressure, some cam driven mechanical pumps others a singel rotory injector pump injected. Most were IDI some where ID. Most didn't have a turbo. Sizes ranged form single cylinder to 3 cyl, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder.
I would have to say that used oil made them a run a lot smoother and made them smoke only slightly more.

Quote:

If you are going to add any lube oil to your diesel it should be 2 stroke oil.

Hi!

I covered that when I asked this in my original post:

-Lots of guys just say "use a two stroke oil..it's designed to burn"..don't they also have esters, solvents and metals and calcium? and wouldn't they also be subject to high fuel temps in common rail systems seeing 20,000 psi?-

telling me to use it without covering the potential drawbacks doesn't help..

Thanks for posting up!

Quote:

I saw a study useing 2%.
It didn't cause the engines to ware any faster.
It did cause particulates to increase a lot.
I don't think I would put used motor oil in a common rail system.
I have tested it in all kinds of different diesel engines, all low pressure, some cam driven mechanical pumps others a singel rotory injector pump injected. Most were IDI some where ID. Most didn't have a turbo. Sizes ranged form single cylinder to 3 cyl, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder.
I would have to say that used oil made them a run a lot smoother and made them smoke only slightly more.

There's an optional set-up for cummins engines that drops a certain amount of sump oil into the tank, then tops the engine back up from a tank.

OCIs become forever (well nearly).

Cummins wouldn't do it if it were a major issue.

If oil consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles is "acceptable", then I seriously doubt that putting the same amount in the fuel is that dangerous.

Then if you do not take any faith in the words I have presented you with go to:
www.cumminsforum.com
There is a topic called "first time with 2 stroke oil"
Or, you can put some in your tank. But I and others that have contributed to that thread believe that you are asking for trouble using engine oil to lube your fuel. Also, If you are that concerned about adding anything to your fuel you should contact the refinery to inquire about what they put in their fuel. But I doubt they would ever tell you. In the end you have no idea what is in the fuel you burn. You would be wise to check out that post I suggested-there is 35 pages to make your opinion.
canada.gif

Hi D-Roc!

Thanks for the link.. I will check that out..this is the type of info I was looking for when I originally posted.. it's got nothing to do with my believing you or not, I'm just doing research and gathering info right now..

Tom

Quote:

Then if you do not take any faith in the words I have presented you with go to:
www.cumminsforum.com
There is a topic called "first time with 2 stroke oil"
Or, you can put some in your tank. But I and others that have contributed to that thread believe that you are asking for trouble using engine oil to lube your fuel. Also, If you are that concerned about adding anything to your fuel you should contact the refinery to inquire about what they put in their fuel. But I doubt they would ever tell you. In the end you have no idea what is in the fuel you burn. You would be wise to check out that post I suggested-there is 35 pages to make your opinion.
canada.gif

It's kind of a brainful to read all of that, but it will clarify additives such as oil to your fuel. There are people who have contributed to that thread as well who have performed tests (albeit personal ones) as well as at least one person who works in a refinery.
As for ATF in the fuel, it is advisable in newer engines as it contains some detergents that can be harmful to injection pumps-that was also in there as I recall.
It's a great site. I own an 06 Cummins and wouldn't half as knowledgeable or informed without it or this one as well.
Derek

Sorry, meant to say that ATF is NOT advisable in the newer injection systems. I can't seem to find the edit my post function. Anyone know?

Syntec, a lot of us are worried about the low sulfur diesels not providing as much lube to the pump.

Some of the systems for "re-cycling" used oil mix the filtered results with diesel. You have to make sure there is a complete mix and it does not settle out. I've never studied it to see how long it stays mixed.
Just like with 2-cycle oils, most people around here use motor oil or gear oil because it is thicker and therefore they use less. but it settles to the bottom of the tank, and the next day they start up with a high oil mixture, ending up the tank with almost pure gasoline.
The good 2 cycle oils have additives to keep the mixture in suspension.

widman, I've mixed solvents and lubricants for decades. As long as oil is added before the fuel to ensure mixing, I've seen no sign of separation.

Add the heavier (and smaller percentage) component last, and it's unlikely to mix without agitation.

i work as a mechanic i recently saw a serivce bulliten for all diesels ill check for you guys on monday theres a chemical you add for teh really older cars/trucks

Quote:

If oil consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles is "acceptable", then I seriously doubt that putting the same amount in the fuel is that dangerous.

Except the oil consumption you are talking about above is past rings or valve stems, not through the injection pump, right?

I just use Soyshield to increase cetane and lubricity.

soyshield, FP60 or similar lubrication-oriented would be a good bet. Though there are claims to 'add BTUs' to the fuel, really if anything, it simply helps for a better burn to convert more energy in the fuel to power, via a better combustion of the actual fuel itself.

If I was putting oil in, Id run a small amount of TC-W3 water-cooled 2-stroke oil, only. No lube oil (ash), no ATF (ash too), etc.

Can't comment on the combustive (cetane) characteristics changed from adding the oil, sorry.

JMH

There are diesel fuel additives on the market which provide lubrication, contribute to better combustion, decrease pour point (if that is a problem), etc.

Why not just use something made specifically for to address the problem, rather than cooking up a home brew?

Quote:

Why not just use something made specifically for to address the problem, rather than cooking up a home brew?

Because it would be nice to recyle your own used oil by burning it yourself, especially if was beneficial to the machine in some way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back