Oil Extractor (Vacuum Oil Change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have seen a ltte bit on this topic. Enough where I really can't decide yes vs no.

My main hesitation is the issue with paricles left in the bottom of the drain pain. However, shouldn't these have been caught in the filter, or are they too heavy to circulate with the oil? Heck, will these even come out through the drain plug, or should the pan be pulled from time to time and cleaned?

I have seen arguments over whether one method removes more oil than the other (does it really matter if one gets out 8oz more oil)

Any suggestions from the oil nuts here?

I have an old extractoer and use it on my wifes 05 Mercedes.
Either way is fine in my humble opinion. I choose to drain the other cars...but pumping the oil out is fine also.

Important: What kind of car do you have?

I have a MityVAC and I love it! It's great for me b/c I can change my oil and filter w/o crawling underneath the car or jacking it up. well...the prizm...just rech up for the oil filter.

Having said that...It matters what car you have. It does not work on all models.

There is the added benefit of extracting other fluids easily.

My tranny fluid is a cinch to do now. I think I'll always do regular maintenance for all fluids. b/c quite frankly it's no longer a shore, almost fun

Oh...that last little bit of oil is of no consequence. IMO

Although one of the reasons for jacking er up and doing the oil change should be an inspection of "stuff" on the bottom side of the vehicle - at least that's how I've always looked at it.

Quote:

Although one of the reasons for jacking er up and doing the oil change should be an inspection of "stuff" on the bottom side of the vehicle - at least that's how I've always looked at it.

That's true but I still do that when I rotate the tires, independent of any of the various fluid changes.

Quote:

My main hesitation is the issue with paricles left in the bottom of the drain pain. However, shouldn't these have been caught in the filter, or are they too heavy to circulate with the oil? Heck, will these even come out through the drain plug, or should the pan be pulled from time to time and cleaned?

I have seen arguments over whether one method removes more oil than the other (does it really matter if one gets out 8oz more oil)

Any suggestions from the oil nuts here?

What swayed me into getting a mityvac is some1 said to me: if you are worried about all the particulates & metals coming out...then you have a bigger problem.

Therefore, every1 is making a guess about draining & sucking out anyhow. You can't really tell either way. & there have been enough UOA to say sucking is just as good as draining.

Quote:

or should the pan be pulled from time to time and cleaned?

Why???! You are worry about large particulates floating around at the bottom of your oil pan? If this is the case, a decent oil filter should have capture those particles nicely.

If it makes you feel betta by regularly removing your oil pan and with a paint scraper to scrape off the heavy sediments at the bottom of your oil pan, by all means, do it. You'll be genuinely surprised how "clean" it will be, given you observe proper OCI with good oil filters and properly functioning engine.

Just do it!
wink.gif

the first time i tried it i would then pull the drain plug before refilling to see how much oil was missed.

I have been extracting oil from my boats for 20 years mainly because there are no longer any drain bolts on Merc gas engines. Plus the pan is about 4 inches from the bottom of the boat. It works fine but you need the oil hot or be prepared to spend a whole afternoon. My 7.4L GM engines hold 7.5 quarts each and you get about 7 quarts out with the extractor. I also use it on the boat transmissions and swap 2-3 quarts each season (they hold 4qts each) I have recently purchased a motive extractor for the transmissions and p/s systems on the cars at home...works great but I still use the drain plug on the car because I want all the oil out.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back