High Pitch Whistle Noise on Cold Start Up???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had this problem before, but my car is making a high pitched noise on start up. It sounds like a whistle. I am not sure why, my car has never done this, but the colder it gets the louder it gets. I have an 03 Camry 4cy. Currently, running PP 5W30 with a ST4967. Any help would be appreciated, I also just turned 56,000 miles on the car. It is 5 speed. Please Help ME, I am concerned!!!
dunno.gif

I had a similar type of problem on a 4cyl Neon, but I heard the whistle more often. Turned out that the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking. The gasket was about $15. Mopar wanted $300+ to do the job. I did it myself, but I took my time, and it would be nice to have a second car to have on hand. Good luck.

Any dry bearing can produce a high pitch. Alternator, water pump, power steering, ect. If it is any of these things, the pitch change with RPMs. If the pitch doesn't increase with RPM increases immediately, then look for vacuum leaks. The will change with RPM, but the tend to lag a little.

It only occurs on Cold start ups, like over night or when the car hasn't been driven in a few hours. I haven't had a problem when starting it during other times through out the day. Like today, I made several small trips today and never heard a noise, but at 7 am, when it's 32 degrees thats when I hear the noise. I hope it might just be something silly.

Are you just hearing the oil filter valve frozen and stuck for a moment on startup. You'd cure that with a silicon valve instead like a pureone, wix, napa gold. On Cal's recent cold snap into the 20s is the first time I've heard that happen but I'd call in a clatter whistle until the oill flows.

Wow, I never knew that. When I was getting my oil changed at the dealership they would use the toyota filter or purolator premium plus. This was my first time using a ST. Not sure what it is. I am going to let the car sit for a while and start it up later tonight. We are getting some snow and it's in the mid twenties. So, I will keep you posted, I hope it is something that simple, I know when the car is running and when I restart it after a wile the sound doesn't return, only on the truely cold start ups. I may change the filter to AAP filter 4386, it about an inch longer then the ST4967. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back