03 TDI oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

I saw the Rotella T at Canadian Tire. It was $13 for 4L. I figured it wasn't the stuff I wanted.
smile.gif

Nope, that's just the conventional Rotella. Up here we don't have the Rotella 5w40 synthetic, but we do have a Rotella 0w40 synthetic.

You can get the 5W40 Rotella Synthetic up here at a TSC store. It doesn't look like there are any in TO/Mississauga but there are a couple "around" it...

Man Canaucks get all the good oil, I here good things about Esso & PD gas engine oils as well and from what I hear you can't go wrong with the diesel ones. Use a 0/5w40, nothing less.

Quote:

Your car does require a synthetic oil. If you want the exact specification, just check your owners manual. The only oil I have used and therefore can recommend is Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. I have a few oil analysis to prove is had worked well. Even after my modifications and run for 7K+ miles. Check the UOA section if you want to see them.

Jason

D1 is THE overwhelming favorite amongst the resident wizards at www.tdiclub.com I've logged 212,000 miles on D1 and my 2001 TDI engine performs as new, uses mere ounces between 10,000 mile OCI's, and cam lobes looked perfect at my last TB change. It's www.upsolute.com chipped, and with an Oilgard bypass filter.
cheers.gif

Quote:

I've logged 212,000 miles on D1 and my 2001 TDI engine performs as new, uses mere ounces between 10,000 mile OCI's, and cam lobes looked perfect at my last TB change.

Your experience with Delvac 1 is the same as mine, right down to the absense of any need to top up between 10k-mile oil-change intervals.

Anyone looking for the best motor oil for 2003-and-earlier TDIs should look no futher than Delvac 1. In severe conditions it is still good for 10k miles.

If a TDI owner doesn't need an oil this good, then the alternatives listed previously in this thread are all fine: Shell Rotella T, Esso XD-3, PetroCan Duron, Amsoil HDD 0w30, Amsoil DEO 5w40. Castro Syntec meets the minimum requirements, but I don't see any reason to pay $5-6/quart for Syntec when there are so many better choices.

Quote:

I'm changing my tune, I now recommend the ACD 10W-30 for this application as well - for anyone who wants a stout synthetic SAE 30 HDEO:

Amsoil 10W-30 ACD .

That looks like some pretty good stuff, particularly for those run their engines pretty much continuously all day long. I don't think it would be as good for those who make a lot of cold starts and/or short trips.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm changing my tune, I now recommend the ACD 10W-30 for this application as well - for anyone who wants a stout synthetic SAE 30 HDEO:

Amsoil 10W-30 ACD .

That looks like some pretty good stuff, particularly for those run their engines pretty much continuously all day long. I don't think it would be as good for those who make a lot of cold starts and/or short trips.

Just curious why you say that? Is it the 10W?

Quote:

Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -25°C, cP (ASTM D-5293) 5165

Quote:

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -38 (-36)

Quote:

Exactly. The 0wXX and 5wXX oils would be better for those who make short trips. Unless you think that's not a critical time for engine wear?

Oh for sure cold start-up is a "critical time", but the beauty of true synthetic oils are the cold flow numbers as I posted. Sure you can find some synthetic 0W's and 5W's with better numbers, and I would definitely recommend those in very cold climates.

Moderator? Have you ever heard of the 100 mile bicycle race held once a year here in Wichita Falls Texas? It is called"The Hotter Then [censored] One Hundred"? In this context, it is not a cuss word. I just want to clarify. This year is its 25th anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back