03 TDI oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who... take it easy on a noob here.

My good buddy has an 05 TDI and I'm doing his oil changes with the dealer TXT. He has less options than I do.
smile.gif

My manual 03 Jetta TDI, has been using the dealer Castrol 5w40 since I got it. However, I see Rotella T seems like a wise choice for my non-PD diesel.

However, I see this oil for a conventional price, vs. my Castrol as a synthetic price. I don't get it?

I know some Syntec's aren't synthetic, but are priced that way. Is this the case?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for brining up a topic, that probably has been answered 11ty billion times.
smile.gif

Cam
ooo.gif

I'll let one of the diesel guys answer your question, I just wanted to say
welcome.gif

It's about time you joined the forum Cam!

Help this guy out folks, he's a good buddy of mine!
cheers.gif

Welcome aboard!
For pre-PD cars, Rotella synthetic has proven to be a good choice. Many of us also use Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil.
It is the opinion of many (myself included) that the Castrol Syntec 5w40 isn't the best choice for a TDI. You are fortunate in that you also have other good oil options in Canada such as Esso XD-3 and PC Duron.

canada.gif

I use the Motul 505.01 in my PD TDI. Elf and others also make a VW approved 505.01 so you don't have to be stuck with the Castrol TXT, which I don't trust.

Rottela T Sythetic 5w-40 is considered to be a very good oil for auto diesels so is the Mobil Delvac. I still have Mobil 1 5w-40 Truck and SUV oil for my Dodge Cummins and like it.

Quote:

Hey Pat.
smile.gif

I was wondering how long it would take you to see my username.
smile.gif

Say hi to the family for me.

The moment you registered on the board I knew it was you by the email address.
smile.gif

I'll make sure to tell Alex that "Ham" says hello!
laugh.gif

I used both Rotella 5W-40 (the Grp III, not the Grp I/II 15W-40) and Schaeffer's S-7000 15W-40 in my '03 TDI.

I actually got better mileage with the Schaeffer's (not in my Land Cruiser though!). Pricing ended up nearly identical and the Schaeffer's was delivered to my door.

Oil analyses were undifferentiated.

I'd use the Schaeffer's if I still had the TDI. I'll be switching my 300SD to Schaeffer's S-9000 5W-40 once I finish the AutoRx rinse I am on. You might consider that oil in your TDI.

Your car does require a synthetic oil. If you want the exact specification, just check your owners manual. The only oil I have used and therefore can recommend is Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. I have a few oil analysis to prove is had worked well. Even after my modifications and run for 7K+ miles. Check the UOA section if you want to see them.

Jason

I have had great results using Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 in our 01 TDI. I would second this choice. In fact, I have posted a Used Oil Analysis in the Diesel UOA section.

Quote:

My manual 03 Jetta TDI, has been using the dealer Castrol 5w40 since I got it. However, I see Rotella T seems like a wise choice for my non-PD diesel.

However, I see this oil for a conventional price, vs. my Castrol as a synthetic price. I don't get it?

I assume you know that there is a Rotella T synthetic 5w40 and a Rotella T conventional 15w40. The synthetic 5w40 is relatively cheap, but still about 50-100% more than the conventional 15w40.

In Canada you have many good choices, including PetroCan 5w40 and Esso XD-3 0w40 or 0w30.

Quote:

I saw the Rotella T at Canadian Tire. It was $13 for 4L. I figured it wasn't the stuff I wanted.
smile.gif

Nope, that's just the conventional Rotella. Up here we don't have the Rotella 5w40 synthetic, but we do have a Rotella 0w40 synthetic.

From the AMSOIL site: 2003 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 1.9L 4-cyl Engine Code ALH TurboDiesel .

Engine Oil
Grade 1......CI-4
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (my choice for best fuel economy)
SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Oil
Above 5°F......15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50
All Temps......5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40
All Temps......5W-50, 10W-50, 10W-60

Pick 1 and enjoy.

I'd run the Exxon XD-3, 0w-30 in the winter and an SAE 5w-40/10w-40 or 15w-40 synthetic for the six warmest months of the year.

The Petro Canada Duron 5w-40 is an excellent product - had some shipped down to Alabama from a friend in Michigan just so I could test it under controlled conditions in my Audi 100.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back