What new car would you get for $20k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since honda has introduced its diesel engine but will not see it for another few years maybe in their civic or accord ill pick one up in a heartbeat...hoping its under 20K.

As long as it's auto and v6, probably a Fusion or G6. We had a foreign car that nickel and dimed us to death.
tombstone.gif
Even air filters though made in USA were $20.
mad.gif

there's an an these days on TV about Fusion beating both accord and camry by car and driver...wonder how true that is. I think they especially considered handling...

I'd be a lot more exited about the Fusion if it didn't have those cheesy tail lights...so mid-90's. Now the Milan, on the otherhand, looks okay (IMO) but per usual FoMoCo pricing, MSRP is higher because it's a Mercury. Can't really see paying $21K+ for a 4cyl family sedan w/MT...

If I could put the tail end of a Milan on a Fusion, it'd be perfect. Those chrome taillights are *****. But..I like the Fusion's nose much better.

It shouldn't be too surprising that an AWD car can outhandle a couple of front drivers. But..can a FWD fusion outhandle them? Maybe the Camry...doubtful on the Accord.

Quote:

So what NEW car would you choose to buy given you only had 20k, well maybe + or - $2000 for wiggle room, and why? What would be the best value for the money in hidsight of your driving priorities, whatever they are?

A Toyota Prius. The base invoice price is $20,419, so it should be possible to haggle them down to that, because of the money that they will be getting from dealer holdback.

Quote:

there's an an these days on TV about Fusion beating both accord and camry by car and driver...wonder how true that is. I think they especially considered handling...

The ranking order of that comparison was:
1. Honda Accord EX V6
2. Ford Fusion SEL V6
3. Hyundai Sonata LX V6
4. Toyota Camry XLE V6

The Accord dominated the other three in C&D's ranking system. The Fusion did pull the best skidpad number and tied the Accord in their subjective "handling" and "steering feel" categories.

I bought my 06 Mercury Milan Premier I4/Auto last fall with all options for go the moon roof. Price $18,300 plus tax/lic.
I looked at and drove the Accord, Camry and Civic.
All were nice cars. The Milan was the better buy. IMO
I now have over 12,000 miles on the car and could not be happier. Great Fuel mileage. Wonderful ride and handling.
Plenty of power for me. More leg room for me and my passengers than others and more trunk room. Very low insurance cost.
There all good cars you just need to figure out what works best for you. There are good buys out there just need to keep working at finding them.

Quote:

Pay CLOSE attention to that farse:

Ford-all wheel drive.
Toyota-2 wheel drive
Honda-2 wheel drive

Shocking
pat2.gif

That's just plain #@$%!. Why didn't they put the 2 wheel drive Fusion in the comp?
Answer: it would lose.

I didn't know the details of the ad AWD vs FWD is certainly not fair. I agree.
I agree also that the Fusion has ugly taillights...what were they thinking with those? and the Altima also has #@$%! like that...at least had, till '06 or so.

It's still interesting that the Sonata beat the Camry overall, though. hopefully that comparison was more fairy done...

Why is it not fair? If you want it to be fair, make honda and toyota produce an AWD in the Fusion's price range. If someone can give you more for less, you'd be stupid to pass on it.

All cars in that comparison were FWD. As tested prices were:

1. Hyundai Sonata $23,495
2. Ford Fusion $25,650
3. Toyota Camry $28,595
4. Honda Accord $29,850

So I guess a question that the average person would have to consider, that C&D takes lightly, is the $4000 premium for that Accord compared to the Fusion they tested.

C&D's analyses are excellent, and that's what I buy the magazine for, but their ranking system could use some work. I'd rather just know which car each test-driver would buy, and rank them according to that. They probably usually work the numbers to reflect that anyway, but they could still present it better. What exactly is a "gotta-have-it factor"? The funniest comparison incident I've seen was the Mustang GT vs. the GTO, where the GTO beat it in every performance category and would have won in terms of points overall but the Mustang won because of its high "gotta-have-it factor". The letters from angered people who didn't think they "gotta-have" a slower and inferior car the next month were amusing.

Honda Accord Value Package with the 2.4 I-4 and a 5 speed manual. Very reliable - great gas mileage (35 MPG on the highway) - stealthy (police usually don't bother with tan Hondas) - cavernous interior - runs on regular gas (expect $3.00 a gallon again this summer) - 2.4 will last forever using dino 5w-20 with reasonable OCIs (see the great UOAs) - 5 speed manual solves the Honda automatic transmission reliability problems and is a lot more fun than an automatic. My 2 cents.

scottB:
Ford-all wheel drive.
Toyota-2 wheel drive
Honda-2 wheel drive

then
rpn453:
All cars in that comparison were FWD.
-------------
so what's the truth?

Quote:

scottB:
Ford-all wheel drive.
Toyota-2 wheel drive
Honda-2 wheel drive

then
rpn453:
All cars in that comparison were FWD.
-------------
so what's the truth?

At the end of the TV COMMERCIAL, it says the Fusion had all-wheel drive.
I didn't make that up. Listen to it next time you see it.
Sorry, that's what it says...

I mostly like the Fusion - and the Edge looks like they took the grill from the Fusion and added a SUV body kinda like the Nissan/Infinit.
I think it's a great car, but I personally don't like the interior.

I was impressed with the commercial until I heard that blurb at the end.

All in all, none of those cars excite me much - but I'm sure any of them are great buys.

Quote:

Why is it not fair? If you want it to be fair, make honda and toyota produce an AWD in the Fusion's price range. If someone can give you more for less, you'd be stupid to pass on it.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't agree more.

Cop out. If what I heard is true on the TV commercial, then the test should be equal cars - not that Ford can make one with more options for the same money - if that's the case.

Mazda 5. It would fill my needs hauling my disabled mother and stepfather and their wheelchair or walker around, while still leaving some room for cargo and being economical and a bit sporty. If I hadn't left work four months ago to care for them fulltime, I had planned to try to buy one. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back