What new car would you get for $20k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

why nobody suggesting impreza ???!! why nobody seem to care about that car?

Because they are butt ugly (sorry), not everyone needs AWD, and fuel economy is pitiful at 22/29. (Hint: a V6 Camry gets better fuel economy, and has 50% more power, at least)

Quote:

Quote:

Because they are butt ugly (sorry), not everyone needs AWD, and fuel economy is pitiful at 22/29. (Hint: a V6 Camry gets better fuel economy, and has 50% more power, at least)

thanks for usefull input.

but i think impreza is a great looking car. notice how new model didn't get different shape but grill and still looks great. unlike ugly alien civic or tacky sentra and elantra. it's a lot better looking than any other cars from the same segment. all subarus got this nice muscular proportions others don't have. they always been different than others generic japanese soap hoalders like corolla, camry or accord. but their new grill isn't very pretty, that's true.

camry does't have a good handling like impreza and it's more expensive. screw that family barge. i like good MPG but not that much to get a camry. sorry...

Quote:

Quote:

I love the way the impreza looks, definetly not economy looking, and very sporty looking (being the younger brother of the WRX) fuel economy isnt astounding, but it's got a 173 horsepower engine and 166ft-pounds of torque. Compared to the civic or corolla it's going to be a rocket ship. And with AWD you'd never have to worry about driving in the rain.

Compared with the camry like you mentioned, you also forgot to mention that a base model camry is going to cost at least $3500 more than a stocked impreza. Also it only takes premium if im not mistaken, at least I know my friends older model camry does. Plus it's FWD + bigger body = less handling.

Actually im comparing apples to oranges here, a sporty economy car to a luxury family sedan.

The impreza and ANY other Subaru looks a heck of a lot better than a Camry or an Accord 4-dr. (Accord coupe looks pretty OK).
I've always like how different Subarus look compared to the Boring looking Toyota and Honda Cars.
I do like the PRE-2007 Elantras. The new Style for 07 looks like an ugly Corolla. My wife's '03 and the pre-07 GTs look the best in Elantras.
Really, check the Subaru's out; you'll find it a lot more appealing than the boring group.

I agree, the tC doesn't have great fuel economy.

However, since fuel is such a small part of the TCO for a vehicle, even with my 35K+/year driving, I don't really care.

The tC really isn't but one or two MPG lower than a comparable Mazda 3. It is a few more lower than the Civic or Corolla, but then it has a much larger engine.

However, I do believe the manual tranny tC should have a more fuel efficient 5th gear, or a 6 speed manual for better fuel economy and more relaxed driving.

I'm averaging 30MPG in my Saab 93 (probably would be higher if I did more highway driving--I average 35MPG on the interstate at 70MPH). That's using regular unleaded, too.

As far as the tC goes, check the insurance rankings on it--State Farm ranks it similarly to the 2-door Honda Civic now. So it might not be as "economical" as it appears when you're getting a 0% safety discount and a liability premium surcharge.

This goes for a lot of those smaller cars, not just the tC.
Check the ratings here:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/veh_rating/scion.asp

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/ratings.asp

It helps to be in my 40's

I pay about $720/year for both cars, full coverage on the tC, liability on the Geo Prizm.

I just paid my 6 month premium, and I think it was ~ $360.

I sure love USAA!

I don't suppose I can complain too much, I'm paying the same premium for the 2006 Saab 93 that I was for the 1996 Ford Contour (worth about a 10th as much). $420 every 6 months.

I'd get the new impreza. I have an 07 and I love it. It's almost impossible to lose traction in the rain. It handles great and it's pretty quick.

The great thing here is that there are so many choices. I may be an Accord buyer, but there are a number of other good choices out there.
Has anyone mentioned the Ford 500?
Yes, they are advertised at well under 20K, as is the Impala. There is also apparently a 2007 Taurus, per dealer ads.
I could see Ford selling this car aggressively against the Accord and the Camry. Imagine four full size people and their luguage. Now imagine how much stuff that would fit in the trunk of the 500 would have to be left behind with either the Accord or the Camry.

Quote:

PS, I've averaged 27.9 MPG in my tC over the course of 13,880 miles and one year.

If the tC is rated 22/30, and the Camry V6 is rated 22/31?, then I consider the fuel economy to be "poor".

Please don't tell me that a tC will smoke a V6 Camry with 268HP and a 6-speed Auto.
smirk.gif

Who was talking about racing Camry's with tC's?
I get about what Java gets on my tC - 25-31 MPG depending on the conditions.
Freeway stop 'n' go is the worst, wide-open freeway gets me good mileage.
I also have "cheap" insurance with AAA.
Don't care about the "ratings" that Brian posted - I'm 45, married, clean record and thank gawd, that is what counts.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back