White Lithium Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some white lithium grease for the filter seals on my K&N and AirHog Air Filters.

K&N recommends either their pricey filter grease or a white lithium grease; they state that petroleum grease will deteriorate the seal.

I have a tube of cheap SuperTEch Multi-Complex grease from Walmart. The back said that it was lithium, but the grease color itself is RED.

Is this the right stuff? I put a coating of it around the filter seal of the AirHog in the Saturn.

pat2.gif

there are several different kinds of lithium additives.

White lithium grease normally comes in a small cardboard drum like wheel-grease, its a distinct creamy white color.

you might also be able to find it in plastic tubes as it is also sold as Engine assembly lube

white lithium grease; they state that petroleum grease will deteriorate the seal.

Last I looked MOST Lithium greases are/were made from petroleum base oil???????
bruce

Yep, even the white stuff is petroleum based. If you want something to lubricate the sealing gasket just use some vasaline (sp?). It works great as a o-ring lubricant to.

I checked the bucket today, it said Lithium complex...so no one is sure if I used the right stuff or not?

If you need something lubricated for installation without petroleum, try Murphy's oil soap. I've been using it forever on Aeroquip Pushlok hose, O Rings, Injectors... It smells nice too.

Something else you might consider is Caterpillar's O-Ring lubricant. It is petroleum free and is a soy based lubricant to prevent o-ring swelling and deterioration. It comes in a large squeeze tube. If anyone needs the Cat part number I can go out to the shop and get it off one of the tubes I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back