Oil for a 2002 Volvo S40?

Haha, sorry Volvohead, posted just before you...

Just as well that I should post again anyway: I should have specified the concern behind my question, which was that since she doesn't give the car time to warm up, I'll want something that'll pump as quickly as possible.

dood, you can also consider the Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm betting it should hold up just as well as the 10W-30 in the light pressure turbo. I would use the classic formula over the EP because you probably are not doing long oil drains with short trips, so it'll save you some money. I also like that it is a little higher 100C viscocity than the EP.

Last edited:
The turbo oil coking a thing of the past. Unless you turn the exhaust housing cherry red and then shut down, you will be fine. Volvo got smart and went with water cooled turbos in the late 80's.

I have one with close to 200k laying around somewhere, it does not look like new, but there is no heavy coking. Use whatever oil you want. I like the PP on sale at AAP, very good deal to stock up on.

I think I have it narrowed down to Amsoil ASL or GC. M1's track record isn't as convincing for the price, Redline and Motul are a little too exotic and expensive, and while I would love for GTX to work, I would feel much better with a full synth given my mom's usage patterns.

My only remaining question is this: I know GC will be thicker than ASL at any temp that PA will ever see, but is the difference in cold pumpability worth mentioning?

Alright, just threw down for 6 quarts of elf juice and a K&N filter from my friendly local Autozone. It was going to come out to virtually the same price as ASL + Wix filter + shipping from Amsoil would have been, so in the end I decided to do something different -- my car, my dad's car, and my brother's car have all been using Amsoil oil (TSO, TSO, and ASL respectively) and EaO filters for the past two years.

I guess the promise of seemingly infinite shear stability doesn't hurt either...

Either way, thanks again for your input, all! I hope I remember to give back to the community with a UOA after this change...
cheers.gif

Quote:

I'll bet a bunch of them have new turbos. Have you ever replaced or even seen a Volvo turbo on conventional oil?

Take my real life evidence word on it. I have seen the exit tube on many Volvo turbos. Synthetic run units are clean, conventional run units look like black atherosclerosis.

I agree 100%
The cost between synthetic and regular Dino oil is so small that it's a no brainer to use synthetic oils per owner's manual.

I like that old S40/V40. I never had one, but I was considering a V40 :)

Anyway, nothing wrong with either of those oils or even Napa Synthetic, which is on sale for only $3.19/qt this month. Pair it with a Napa Platinum filter which is also on sale.

Back