Oil for a 2002 Volvo S40?

My mom drives a 2002 Volvo S40 (1.9L turbo I4). She puts maybe 10k a year on it, if that, and it's almost all city/suburban driving. Her daily commute is 5-10 minutes each way, she makes a lot of similarly short trips, and she can't be bothered to let the car warm up or cool down on each short trip.

IIRC, the manual calls for 10w-30 or 5w-30. We live up in PA so our winters are relatively mild.

I was thinking Amsoil ASL (5w-30) or AFL (5w-40 Euro formula), and something like a 7k OCI. Thoughts?

ASL or AFL will work fine. I lean toward the ASL because your mom probably doesn't torture the oil on the hot side. Both would be fine with the turbo, the ASL would allow faster spin-up.

I run the Mobil 1 10W-30 in mine, but the Amsoil 5W-30 would be an excellent choice. The 5W-40 will just cost you gas.

ASL. But the engine has a decent sized sump so I'd use 10W30 dino oil instead and pocket the savings.

I know of quite a few Volvo turbos with 150k+ on the clock, and they all run of dealer bulk 10W30 @ 7.5k OCIs...no problems.

When are you guys going to lose this mentality that synthetic is a MUST if you want a turbo to last?
smirk.gif

I'll bet a bunch of them have new turbos. Have you ever replaced or even seen a Volvo turbo on conventional oil?

Take my real life evidence word on it. I have seen the exit tube on many Volvo turbos. Synthetic run units are clean, conventional run units look like black atherosclerosis.

Thanks for the responses!

Any more non-Amsoil recommendations? M1 0w-40, M1 5w-30 Truck & SUV, Redline 5w-30, GC...?

Sorry, can't find the edit button... I just realized the last post might give the impression that I'm looking for a reason to get away from Amsoil, which is not the case. I just want to make sure that other potentially good candidates aren't excluded.
smile.gif

Quote:

I'll bet a bunch of them have new turbos. Have you ever replaced or even seen a Volvo turbo on conventional oil?

Take my real life evidence word on it. I have seen the exit tube on many Volvo turbos. Synthetic run units are clean, conventional run units look like black atherosclerosis.

I agree 100%

Perhaps with API SG oils. With the SL/SM oils (and better), the problems you mentioned are history.

Heck, some of you guys even said that I'd have a major sludge problem with 10k dino OCIs and short trips. And my engine was cleaner than some of yours.
smirk.gif

GC gets my vote in the little turbo four banger. As long as it is NOT bulk tank conventional. Pablo has it correct; you run a full syn if you want the turbo to last.

Start with 5k, and stretch it out from there with a couple UOAs, as her driving habits may make longer intervals more problematic.

Does anyone think M1 0w-40 or GC would be too thick on a cold start? It's really tempting to choose something I can get locally...

Back