CASTROL GTX 10W30, 1993 OLDSMOBILE CIERA 3.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
2m3358i.jpg

Got the car at 109,800 miles and have been using Castrol Gtx since that mile reading. Intake gaskets where replaced by me January of 2006. I think the odometer on the intake replacement was 113,000.

Nice job on the gasket repair...everything looks good.

One of the few API/SM oils I've seen with no moly and no boron - yet it works just fine. The "take home" message is that there are no silver bullets when it comes to oil formulation.

What brand oil filter? (Insolubles were certainly nothing to worry about, but I was surprised to see them listed at 0.4 ppm after just 3,000 miles.) Any chance you could post Blackstone's comments, too?

Its a Champ white can non-ecore ph47 filter. Ever since the intake repair I've been finding minute black particles in the oil filter pleats upon disection. I did a superb job this time at disecting the oil filter and got the pleats out all in one piece. I took pics that I was going to post - however I tossed the pleats after I took the pics... and then when I went to edit the pics to post them the lighting wasn't correct and the pics were to dark to show the crud.

I have wix filter on thier now that I purchased from fleet filter. Then I have 9 more white can champs to use up. I don't think the insolubles are going to drop until the oil filters start coming up clean the way they should.

I did the repair myself. I didn't use any sealer tabs on the cooling system, as I'm running a coolant filter on this car. I covered up the engine valley with paper towels during the repair, but evidently it didn't stop everything.

blackstone comments where left out intentionaly so as not influence anyone's comments. However, they did say this motor is wearing nicely and it will outlast all of us.

also forgot to add I have been an Catrol GTX user only until I discovered this forum. I was out of Castrol on this change so the current fill is Valvoline All Climate. Next two reports will be with Valvoline 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back