Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 -- any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this oil, and what do you think about it? I searched the UOA forum section with no results and this forum section doesn't specifically mention the "X-cess" variant. Any info would be appreciated.

TIA,

Regards,
paul

I have not personally used this oil, but the Honda s2000 club here swear by it and have special shipments brought in just for the club. I haven't seen any analysis from them so can't comment on how well it really works...

It does not seem many people use Motul in the States, some swear bu it...like Boxcarttommie. I think its a bit of a bugger to get hold of, as it is in SA...Im so hoping they get stock soon, because I want to move away from Mobil 1.
Im sure Motul's market will grow with the GRP III exodus debacle.
It certainly is a fine choice and even against the PAO Mobil 1, I think its the better oil....
twocents.gif

I used Motul 8100 x-cess 5w40 for a couple oil changes and for the most recent one, I switched to Castrol Syntec 5w40. The Motul was fine in my 03 GTI VR6, but I figure for the winter, I could use something cheaper, since the Motul is a good chunk of change more than the Syntec. After doing some lurking here, I learned that the Syntec is a group III, so I'm thinking about switching to something group IV, which leads to my noob question and threadjack (sorry!). I was wondering if Motul 8100 x-cess is a group IV oil? Is there actually a list somewhere of which motor oils are group III and IV etc?

Motul Group III oils are labeled as "Technosynthese". Their fully-synthetic oils are labeled as "100% synthetic" or simply "Synthetic".Products like E-tech 0w40 are ester-based, hence the "E" in E-tech.
I believe that 8100 X-cess is a PAO/ester blend, but I may be incorrect on that. I'm sure the real Motul experts will chime in if I'm wrong.

Actually nearly all 5W-40 oils available in Europe are not full synthetic in the real meaning of this word. The transformation started somewhere in 2000-2001 and was finished when oils were "upgraded" from API SJ to SL. As for 8100 X-cess 5W-40, when NOACK is about 11 % it's difficult to believe that it does not contain gr.III or something similar. So, this oil is like many others. But all of them work.

stop'd by motul usa office and pick daves'(president)brain.he had two new 5w30's;1st was an a3/c3,met all euro spec's and 2nd an a5/c2 sm/cf spec.;8100 0w40 is discontinued replaced by an 5w40,ester,all euro spec.'d.. this grade is now recom by porche(no longer is 0w40 recomm'd).

Quote:

stop'd by motul usa office and pick daves'(president)brain.he had two new 5w30's;1st was an a3/c3,met all euro spec's and 2nd an a5/c2 sm/cf spec.;8100 0w40 is discontinued replaced by an 5w40,ester,all euro spec.'d.. this grade is now recom by porche(no longer is 0w40 recomm'd).

Porsche's last approved oil list (July 06) only shows 8100's X-cess and X-clean (both 5W-40). I haven't seen anything more recent.

I actually started this thread because I have an 07 Boxster S on order and I'm considering running X-cess instead of M1 0W-40. I don't mind paying more for Motul if it's a better quality than the M1 0W40.

Many people here are upset that M1 changed their basestock from Grp 4 to Grp 3 (on some products), but the prices didn't drop.

The bottomline is I trying to find the best oil on that list, and not worry about the cost.

Regards,
paul....

Paule320,
Exactly what I'm looking for. A superior product without regard to cost.
My '07 Jeep SRT8 specs for Mobil1 0W-40 or equivelent. With 1K on the odo
I'm probably going to change first to the Amsoil European 5W-40 with an
Amsoil EaO filter. If not completely satisfied with UOA's I will probably
move to Motul, Elf or other European 100% synthetic.
Craig

Craig,

I stick with the manufacturer's approved oil list while the car is under warranty. Although many oil companies say their oil meets the car's spec, they never paid for the approval from the manufacturer.

I'm sure that many people here will say that those "aproval lists" are a bunch of #@$%!, but while a car is under factory warranty, I stick with factory recommendations.

Regards,
paul...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back