sl or sj oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you still go and buy sl or sj oil? Or is the only oil on the market sm oil which is supose to be compatable?

All later API classified oils are backward compatible. All later oils are also better than all older oils. There is NO reason not to use a better oil.

aehaas

I can't figure out why anybody would want to buy an SL or SJ rated motor oil. The SM oils of today are years more advanced. And even locating SL or SJ oils might prove to be difficult. Why would you want these older oils-you think they have more Zinc?

In addition, if you did somewhere in some dusty corner locate some SL or SJ rated oil, the oil would be years old. According to what I read somewhere Pennzoil says that motor oil has a shelf life of about 18 months. Sooner or later the oil is going to go bad, and SL and SJ rated oil is inferior anyway to newer motor oils. If you are worried about Zinc levels you could buy a oil supplement like the Valvoline or Schaeffer's supplements and put additional additive into your oil (I would recommend only a few ounces especially in cold weather).

Myself I buy it on clearance if I see it. My car spec'd SH/SJ to begin with so....
But I'd never pay over $2.25 a qt for synth SJ...Got lots of the stuff in 10W30 and 15W50 M1

18 months? Ive read motor oil has a shelf life, up to about 10 years!! 18 months would render alot of oil useless then.

Some manufacturers still make some of their grades to SL specs, I believe so they can keep ZDDP levels higher. I can't think off the top of my head which ones though. A wander through the oil aisle should enlighten you.

I've seen brand-new Agip rated SH, if you can find somewhere that stocks that.

About a year ago I topped up with a couple quarts of 20-year old SF oil that I found in the garage. No noticeable difference. I wouldn't go out and purposely buy such old oil though. Unless you have a car with very special needs, use SM with confidence.

My local K-mart has about 3-4 qts of SJ-rated Valvoline Durablend from 1998 they have on clearance for $2.15/qt. How do I know it is from 1998? They have a $3 rebate coupon on the front that expired some time in 1998.
grin.gif

If you don't mind spending extra money, try motorcycle oils. Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil is SJ with 1200 ppm zinc. Of course, the thinnest grade is 10w40.

Some old VOA/UOA data showed about 1200 ppm zinc in Citgo Ultralife (please folks, no political discussion of Citgo or the thread will get shut down).

I know of several shops that still have inventory back to SG. Just two weeks ago I was admiring QuakerState 20W40. If you want old oil, you can find it.

GC 0w30 is an SL formula oil, and if you look at some of the less commonly sold viscosities (like 20w50) you can often find dusty old SJ formula oil (there is SJ formula Pennzoil 20w50 at my local Walmart and up until recently they still had some SJ formula Mobil 1 15w50 too)

Some SL and SJ synthetics are/were REALLY good so I don't want to hear people generalizing that SM oils are better without any caveats. The dino versions...yes that's quite possible.

Quote:

According to what I read somewhere Pennzoil says that motor oil has a shelf life of about 18 months.

If motor oil only had a shelf life of 18 months, a lot of us would be in serious trouble, as many of us have oil stashes with oil much older than this. I've heard estimates of between 5-10 years for the shelf life of motor oil. I'd be more inclined to believe it's closer to 10 years, if stored properly (containers sealed tight and not kept in freezing cold conditions)

Quote:

Some SL and SJ synthetics are/were REALLY good so I don't want to hear people generalizing that SM oils are better without any caveats. The dino versions...yes that's quite possible.

Care to be more specific of which synthetic oils you're referring?
confused.gif

I'm considering purchasing some Mobil 1 0W-30 SL, but not sure if that's a good idea.

Iain, I think M1 changed formulations during the SL era and that the early SL formulations were better in some ways but the later SL formulations are still a good catch. If the M1 0W-30 SL is not marked up in cost, go for it. Valvoline Synpower SL oils were also really good. GC is still SL rated. As an aside, M1 15W-50 SL was a super oil but isn't anymore.

Quote:

Quote:

According to what I read somewhere Pennzoil says that motor oil has a shelf life of about 18 months.

If motor oil only had a shelf life of 18 months, a lot of us would be in serious trouble, ...

Wow, I'd have to do an oil change every 500 to 1000 miles on all my vehicles. Well, that would certainly cut down on oil leaving deposits in my engines.

But I am with you, about 10 years is a good number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back