'97 S-10 w/2.2 L 4 cyl has miss on no. 3 cyl. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 1997 2WD S-10 truck has an Izusu 2.2 L 4 cyl. with auto trans. It was a delivery truck for a parts supply co. It broke a timing chain while in service and the timing chain was replaced. It was missing on no. 3 cylinder. A compression check showed low compression on no. 3 cyl. Thinking the broken T. chain may have caused damage to a valve, they removed the cyl head and had a valve job done. Still 'missing' on no. 3. Now, if I am correct, a good valve job would include a new cyl. head gasket and R & R of all valves, then the ONLY remaining causes of a low compression on no. 3 cyl. would be a worn or bad set of rings on that cylinder. What else could cause a miss on no. 3? I am now including fuel problems and igniton problems as well as no compression. What are the common problems with the '97 Izusu 2.2L engine? Is this engine known to be a good engine or a problem one?

Are you still having low compression on #3 cyl?

If that is the case, make noises to the mech who did the head job for you to have it service properly. Chance are, he didn't do a good job in inspecting the damage.

I would not prematurely throw in all the "assumptions" and guesstimates in this case for there's no use crying foul when you broke the timing chain (and damaged the engine due to interference design)

The 2.2 L Izusu engine is not an interference engine. However, I agree that you shouldn't believe all the mechanical tests and repairs were done correctly. Also your assumption that I 'broke the timing chain' is incorrect. This is a situation where an employee of a parts supply co. has bought the truck to fix up and sell. He still owns it and I am trying to find out what it will take to repair it.

If there is low compression on #3, then the best thing to do is replace the engine with one from the junkyard. This is the GM 2.2 OHV, which is known to be a good engine. The timing issue will make itself known before failure with a ticking sound. I believe the engine is the same as the 2.2 OHV Cavalier and a junkyard (www.car-part.com) will be able to tell you for sure. You should be able to find a low mileage engine cheap.

I just went by the parts supply employee and spoke to him about this truck. He says it still skipped/missed after the new timing chain. It skipped after the new valve job. He thinks the problem is the mechanics who replaced the timing chain installed it wrong, amd it has 'jumped time' causing the miss. This is an Izusu 2.2L truck engine. There is a new Chevy Eco-Tech 2.2 engine for front wheel drive cars that you may be thinking of.

If fought a miss for over a year until i finally traced it down to a missing platinum puck on the offending sparkplug. Sometimes the easiest things are the hardest to find. Also, I'm not buying "the timing chain causes the #3 cylinder to miss" either.

I didn't see an answer to the question, "Is the compression still low on the #3 cylinder?" If so, there will be a completely different plan of attack vs. just having a miss on the #3 cylinder.

If that 2.2L has a timing chain, I don't think it's an isuzu 4 banger. AFAIK, all the isuzu 4's had belts and were all severe valve smashers.

Joel

Although I'm not completely sure, the Isuzu 2.2 is a GM OHV engine, the same that's in the S-10. Anyway, if there is low compression on #3 it's a boat anchor. Either rebuild or replace.

I am getting all this info second hand. I understand from the owner it is still missing on no. 3. I think it still has 'low compression' on no. 3 cyl. The present owner (seller) thinks this low compression is due to the miss alignment of the timing chain. I am assured the 2.2 Izusu engine does have a chain, not a belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back