Where should you store your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this might be a dumb question, but where should you store your motor oil. I know that there was a post about oil filters and how different climate changes can cause problems to the filters themselves. So my questions is: should you keep your oil in a climate controlled environment or is it ok to keep it in shed or garage, where the climate is able to be controlled as well as closet or basement. Does this affect the motor oils shelf life? I know that theses maybe stupid questions, but I had to ask it.
laugh.gif

The garage is as good a place as any. I'm sure someone on here will tell you to store it next to your wine in the wine cellar. It's just oil.

Some would insist it be stored in a temperature controlled environment. But think about it: oil goes through all kinds of extremes in your engine. I know that contributes to its breakdown, but we dont' change it just because the temperature changed.

John

I got about 220 quarts of various closeout oil. I keep them all boxed up in their original boxes and stacked nice and neat in closet inside the house.

I have gone back and forth on this one. This week i'm keeping it all in the basement. Too many 100+ days in the summer and -0 days in the winter. I have the space available, so why chance it? Plus, it makes feel all warm and fuzzy inside
grin.gif

The life expectancy of a married man is longer than a single man and the shelf life of the married man's oil is shorter because his oil is in the shed and the single man's oil is in the closet.

Mine is in the cellar. This cellar has concrete block walls all the way around and a concret slab roof (back porch). Temperature ranges from about 40 to 75 F. I would not feel right keeping it in the garage where the range would be from abotu 10 to 100 F, since I have long term storage of 5 or more years (187 quarts). But for a case or two, the garage is fine.

Quote:

The life expectancy of a married man is longer than a single man and the shelf life of the married man's oil is shorter because his oil is in the shed and the single man's oil is in the closet.

how about a married man's oil in the spare bedroom closet.
laugh.gif

I keep mine in my "oil closet". I was going to keep it outside but was scared that the constant freezing cold or extreme heat and humidity would create condisation inside the bottle.

Could this happen or am I just to paranoid?

Mine is neatly stacked under the workbench in the garage. Separated by type & weight. Not touching each other.

Temp varies from 40 to 100 degrees, depending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back