tire balancing intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "lifetime" balance and rotation through my local Goodyear dealer, even though the tires are Firestone. I paid for the rotation and balance once and now get them done (R and B) every 5k for free.

I wait until I can feel something through the steering wheel, and I consider myself extra sensitive. If I can't feel it, there's nothing wrong.

Quote:

I wait until I can feel something through the steering wheel, and I consider myself extra sensitive. If I can't feel it, there's nothing wrong.

Thats the answer I was looking for. If they aren't vibrating or wearing funny then they are fine. I currently have 27k on a set of 35 inch Pro Comp Mud terrains and was considering getting them rebalanced since they have half the tread left. My wife's car is another story though the tires are cupped and she is dire need of new set.

Tires often need rebalance after first couple thousand miles because tire will often slip/rotate on wheel after inital balance. After that, if rotation is done regularly balance should never really need done again.

Bob

Not so much. Imbalance in the fronts is unmistakable, but you often see people driving up the interstate at speed with very visible imbalance at the rears, to which they seem oblivious.

I have also a "lifetime" free balance, so usually do it at normal rotation and after hunting season, since I went over alot of ruts, potholes, etc.

Quote:

If the rear wheels become out of balance slightly, will you still feel it in the steering wheel?

Interestingly, this has been studied several times in various ways. The answer is always that the position closest to the driver is the most sensitive and the further away from the driver you get, the less sensitive it is. This seems intuitively obvious, but the interaction of the suspension always makes folks wonder about it.

BTW, you generally feel rear tire vibrations in the seat.

And one last comment: A tire that is out of round - for example a tire with cupping - can behave like an out of balance tire, but the tire can be perfectly balanced.

Front wheel drive cars are much more sensitive to wheel balance than rearwheel drivecars. It is COMMON for the front wheels to be rebalanced every time the tires are rotated on a front wheel drive car. I use my own wheel balancer, but it is a very good idea to get those deals where they rebalance and rotate your tires for free as you drive. For performance cars, and most front wheel drive cars this is a good deal.

what places offer the lifetime balance and rotation? I know walmart will do it. Any others?

I bought a lifetime balance from a local Tires Plus store on a set of tires for my Expedition that I run only in spring-summer-fall. Each time I bring them in for a little vibration and show them my "lifetime" receipt, they give the job to the newest of the newbies who just hired on and can barely lift the tire onto the balancer. Invariably, they mess something up and the problem doesn't go away. I usually end up bringing them to a trusted shop that's 21 miles away, but always does the right job the first time.

Goodyear does it too, even with non-Goodyear tires. Personally, I would avoid the Walmart deal. Bad past experiences don't make for good future customers.

Quote:

I bought a lifetime balance from a local Tires Plus store on a set of tires for my Expedition that I run only in spring-summer-fall. Each time I bring them in for a little vibration and show them my "lifetime" receipt, they give the job to the newest of the newbies who just hired on and can barely lift the tire onto the balancer. Invariably, they mess something up and the problem doesn't go away. I usually end up bringing them to a trusted shop that's 21 miles away, but always does the right job the first time.

yeah i was also always sceptical about all these "lifetime" deals. i think it's usually their way to get you in the shop and get some money out of you.

That one in back is the one they bent and no intention on buying a rim for and so the let it bounce all over. When it wears out they are like WHY??? Uh we told you you needed a #@$%! rim. So you need to buy a tire again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back