Delvac...seems not to be very popular...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been perusing this site and don’t find much in the way of comment (good or bad) regarding Mobil’s Delvac 15W-40 diesel engine oil.

From what I can tell, this product meets all on-road diesel engine requirements, it is available (at least for me here in the Houston, TX area), the manufacturer has a good reputation and it is performing well in my CAT 3126B engine in my RV. So far, in 7000 miles, I have added no oil to the engine in both summer and winter driving

Yes, I know, most RV applications put little stress on engines but NO oil added? This would seem to me to be a bit extraordinary.

Am I wrong or is Delvac just not that popular? Or, is Delvac just not a top notch product?

Also, can I safely stretch the factory recommended OCIs using this oil, say by 2000-3000 miles out to near 10,000 miles?

I’m anxious to hear your comments regarding this product and my application.

Thank you.

Delvac 1300 is very good oil, if used in applications that it is intended for.

I would not stretch the interval based on no consumption, but only after satisfactory results from oil analysis.

Delvac has fallen out of favour.

A few years ago, it was the diesel engine oil to use even for motorcycles.

Now, Mobil, Amsoil, Penzoil, and Shell seem to dominate discussions everywhere. Is bobistheoilguy responsible? I don't know.

Detroit Diesel puts a sticker on their brand new 60 series engines recommending Delvac.

In 20,000-30,000 mi OCI I cant tell the difference between Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella T in UOA. Search "3406E" to find my 26,100 mi UOA on Delvac 1300. That was the CI4+, DHD-1 (Allows 50% Extended Drain in DD S60), ACEA E5 version.

The primary issue in light duty use is many of the newer pass cars prohibit the use of CI4+ type lubricants. They want low-ash add pkg to assure life of exhaust after-treatment devices.

The latest CH-4 version of Delvac 1300 also meets DHD-1, E5 and proposed PC-10, DHD-2, and ACEA E7. I believe the US version of Delvac MX (CI4+) is the old Delvac 1300.

I am a past Delvac 1 user that has been clean for almost two years. I once lived for it and only thought of my next purchase.
Schaeffer broke my adiction for the 27$ a gallon stuff and I have never gone back. Life is so much better now. I can quit the 5W40 Schaeffer 9000 anytime I want to. Its just that I don't want to. My Schaeffer fix runs about 16$ a gallon and all my stuff loves it.
Its not that I dislike Delvac. I just found something so much better.
crazy.gif
shocked.gif
bowdown2.gif

It is the difference between a $39 MP3 player from Frys and $239 IPod, both play music, and if that is what you want, then obviously a forum called "bob is the MP3 guy" would endorse the iPod. Just kidding, partially, but let us be honest, we all tend to over expose the exotic in this culture.

Actually, it, with its competitors, Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella T, Mystic 15w-40, and others that are CI-4+, or CJ-4 are well regarded. They are all in the class of HDEO, and meet and exceed most auto and truck needs unless you are running a turbo or have another special issue like a sludge-vulnerable engine. [I have both so I go with Mobile 1 "TurboTruck" 5w-40 synthetic for them, and either Rotella or Delvac, sales!, for everything else.] Look at your user manual, look up the oil recommendations, and CHECK THE LABEL, if it has a "real" SAE label, and meets the C*-4, or M* rating, you are golden. (just do not expect extended oil change intervals, do your routine maintenance!)

Another side note beat-to-death elsewhere in this and other fora, if you have a pre-1975 automobile, these oils are likely the best you can use. do a search. (advice is likely good up to 1989, but that would ignite the catalytic converter wars, again)

Quote:

Delvac has fallen out of favour.

A few years ago, it was the diesel engine oil to use even for motorcycles.

I prefer Mobil 1 15W-50 auto oil in my BMW boxer...clean engine and tolerates the heat here in Houston's summers very well and is available about anywhere...

Have you noticed that they discontinued the red cap 15W50? I read in several places that the newer 15W50 EP is not as high quality in apps such as our airhead boxer twins. It sounds like they may have downgraded the base oil slightly in this newer blend. Who knows? It has definitely fallen out of favor with the high performance crowd. However, it may do better in extended drains in auto apps, as the EP designation would suggest. I wish I had some oil analysis reports to back up these allegations I have read on the net. This past summer I switched to Amsoil 20W-50 V-twin in my R1200C and it ran really well and engine remarkably quieter. It cost about double the price of the old red cap Mobil 1. I am set to try the Schaeffer's 20W-50 S7000 racing blend for this coming summer to see how it compares. I have seen the Mobil 1 20W-50 V-twin at some Walmart and Auto Zone stores for about $8 a bottle. That's probably easier to find locally than the 2 oils I am trying right now. I go the full 6K miles OCI on my oil and filter, sometimes longer, and usually ride year round.

I have driven many semi trucks that did not need any oil added between 15k oil changes. Most were on Del0400 but I'd guess any quality oil in a healthy engine would go 10K+ w/o adding oil.

Quote:

Actually, it, with its competitors, Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella T, Mystic 15w-40, and others that are CI-4+, or CJ-4 are well regarded. They are all in the class of HDEO, and meet and exceed most auto and truck needs unless you are running a turbo or have another special issue like a sludge-vulnerable engine.

I am relatively sure that diesel powered semitrucks/pickup trucks are turbocharged, and I am pretty sure that Delo, Delvac, Rotella, and Mystik all run thousands of miles just fine in them. Why does everyone who has a turbo think it requires synthetic?

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it, with its competitors, Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella T, Mystic 15w-40, and others that are CI-4+, or CJ-4 are well regarded. They are all in the class of HDEO, and meet and exceed most auto and truck needs unless you are running a turbo or have another special issue like a sludge-vulnerable engine.

I am relatively sure that diesel powered semitrucks/pickup trucks are turbocharged, and I am pretty sure that Delo, Delvac, Rotella, and Mystik all run thousands of miles just fine in them. Why does everyone who has a turbo think it requires synthetic?

Got me there, I have only one sample point, which indicated synthetic. Sorry for inappropriately extrapolating. I stand by the rest of my note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back