15w-40 in a WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice from the fellow board members. I have an OC due in my WRX. I have tons of diesel rated 15w-40 (made by Elf, the car is located in Greece). I was wondering whether I am going to grenade anything by using it. Subaru recommends anything from 30 to 20w-50 on that engine, and they say that synthetic is optional.

My reasoning is that if that oil is good in a HD turbocharged semi, it should work on that car? Maybe with a shorter change interval?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Nick

Should be just fine for your application. I personaly wouldn't worry about running the OCI too short as HDEO is made for longer OCI.

Probably fine in summer temps, but not during the winter. I realize the northeast is in a de facto heat wave, but the cold will come sooner or later.

Quote:

Probably fine in summer temps, but not during the winter. I realize the northeast is in a de facto heat wave, but the cold will come sooner or later.

According to the O.P., the vehicle in question is currently located in Greece.

Yassou Niko,
coffee.gif

Works great and what you want and need, in the extra corrosion protection it offers during storage times, if the car is not in use during your time in the US, or elsewhere.

Have you tried Hellas Brand Oils? I'm curious to their quality and how they hold up in Greece's type of driving.
driving.gif

Pablo: At my location the worst it can get is in the twenties, but even that is very rare.

pastmaster: I try to stay away from locally produced oils, I might as well run olive oil! (cheaper here too!)

My main concerns are the cats, because the car uses maybe half a liter per oil change, and coking in the turbo; I've heard that it's better to stick with syns in turbcharged cars. But HDEO should be better in that respect, since virtually all HD diesels are turbocharged.

If this 15w-40 is approved for diesel AND gasoline engines, 1/2 a bottle per oc isn't supposed to harm cats.

If the turbo is not liquid cooled, 0w-30 and 0w-40 will perform better than 15w-40.

I think that 15w40 HDEO are the best choice in Dino oils for turbocharged performance engines in warm climates.

In my turbo charged Porsche in the summer, if I were not running a synthetic 0w40 or 5w40 I would be running a 15w40 HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back