Readily Available Silicate-Free Coolant??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost time to service the cooling systems in my vehicles ('87 Legend, '92 Lumina and '87 Camaro). I've been using the old conventional Honda, mix-your-own silicate-free coolant in all of them (and the motorcycles too). But I can't find this stuff anymore.

This has probably been covered many times, but is there a readily available silicate-free coolant available? I'm not looking for the latest high-tech long life, cat's meow stuff. By readily available, I mean something that I can get at Wal-Mart, Kragen or Auto-Zone, etc.

Thanks.

A readily available silicate-free coolant is Dexcool and its clones. Dexcool might not be the best choice for older vehicles with Copper-Brass rads or heater cores. My personal choice in your situation would be GO5, with low levels of silicate.

Some time back on this board were posts stating the some verson of Peak would provide what you are looking for. Sorry can't be more specific.

For all purpose coolant, I'd use the DexCool in the GM IF the system is tight, you have no air floating about, and you check on things once a month. Otherwise, a 50/50 or 60/40 flush and fill of G-05 is a good choice. A little silicate for instant repair of the occasional cavitation damage to the OAT layer, and it fits most manufacturer's recommendation for a "quality ethylene-glycol coolant".

Honda's no-silicate, phosphated coolant IS available at Honda dealers. Not sure of the reasons or chemistry behind it, but Honda likes phosphate.

Otherwise, I don't see how you go wrong with the G-05. Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler all specify it, and I use it in my Hyundai (hardly a stressful vehicle for coolant or PCMO), but after a year and nearly 30,000 miles, all's well. No drop in the level in the puke-tank, tubes nice and clean in the top of the radiator, and I trust (but won't know until the second timing belt change when the WP gets changed), the water pump is well and truly protected against cavitation wear or damage.

I've used in the past on an older HONDA, Havoline Fleet/Diesel Rig Coolant(I don't remember it's exact name) which was/is a silicate free anti-freeze/coolant. It was orange/red in color.

Thanks for the responses.

I just browsed Peak's web site and both their Global Long-Life and LOng-Lifecoolants are silicate-free.

I did find Old-School Honda silicate-free coolant, but only in the premixed version.

Here's and old Honda TSB of sorts that I dug up a while ago:

honda_coolant.jpg

Hmm, would Toyota Pink work for you? Ok, maybe Final Charge(I used that on my Matrix once when I had it[I should try it in Grand Prix and see if it cools better]).

Check out the Peak website.They make an extended life all cars coolant that contains no silicates nor phosphates. Check the index on BITOG and you will find some good info. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back