Elf 0w-30 Passat 18, 000 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Sloppy's 4th UOA from Oil Analyzers Inc. is available. Oil is Elf Evolution 0W-30 CRV 506.01.

18,110 miles on the oil.
42,180 miles total on the 2005.5 Passat GLS.

Iron: 118
Chromium: 8
Lead: 9
Copper: 12
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 25
Nickel: 7
Silver: 0
Silicon: 9
Boron: 42
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 279
Calcium: 3268
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 1204
Zinc: 1325
Molybdenum: 3
Titanium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Potassium: 0

Fuel: Viscosity @ 100°C: 11.70
Water : 0
Soot/Solids: 1.26
Coolant (glycol): no

TBN: 4.86
Oxid: n/a
Nitr: n/a
Change YES

"No corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval."

As stated previously, Sloppy's running Elf Evolution 0W-30 CRV 506.01 as of 24,070 miles. Oil change has been completed after a Motul Diesel System Cleaner treatment. New Elf Evolution 0W-30

Can you say upper cylinder/piston wear.
frown.gif

I know right, but then look at what OAI said "No corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval".

Exactly Al. This is not what you want to see in a UOA, even with 18k mile OCI.
Is this the V6 engine? Maybe this oil isn't thick enough for it, since the add pack looks very robust.

This UOA is likely in the wrong category. I'm guessing by the huge iron and the lack of concern about it that this is a TDI engine. High iron in diesels is par for the course, but I'm not sure if this amount is out of whack for a diesel.

If this were a gas engine...there'd be something serious going on here.

Had a quick look in the diesel UOA section. Looks like this is a diesel.

See "Tornado Red's" post and comparative UOA's about 2/3 of the way down this post about an ELF diesel oil experience and you'll see that this ELF oil results in huge iron wear. Same TDI engine.

Seems like Delvac 5w-40 is one magic bullet to solve the problem.

Too my novice eye because the only high metal is iron and the add's look good. I say that this is a fine UOA for 18,000 miles. But like I said I am an novice.

"SLOPPY" will also describe his ring/cylinder and cam lobe/lifer clearances if he keeps up this maintenance protocol...;)

The very thin, VW 506.01 oils only work well in situations where soot levels are very low. Every time I've seen an analysis of one of these oils with soot > 0.5%, it's been horrible. You are trading off a small (2%-3%) increase in fuel efficiency for a major increase in wear rates; compared to using an xw-40 synthetic in this motors.

TD

Quote:

18,110 miles on the oil.
42,180 miles total

This was a fairly new engine when the tested oil first went into service. So some of the wear numbers reflect normal breaking-in.

The iron prorates to about 6.5 ppm per 1000 miles -- high but not extremely high if you consider the normal 10k-mile OCI.

Actually I would be most interested in seeing whether the aluminum numbers drop in the next UOA. That's the one that seems really excessive.

For whatever reason, the soot is high and unless this can be explained and corrected, I don't think the Elf Evolution can be expected to perform beyond 10k miles. There are other fine 505.01-rated oils that cost half as much per liter and will also work fine for 10k-miles OCIs.

Well, low sulphur diesel just launched nationwide, so I think his next UOA will be much better.

Quote:

See "Tornado Red's" post and comparative UOA's about 2/3 of the way down this post about an ELF diesel oil experience and you'll see that this ELF oil results in huge iron wear. Same TDI engine.

FWIW - this is no where near the same TDI engine. this is a 134hp / 2.0L / PD TDI. Fe wear rate is only 6.5 ppm / 1000 miles which is actually good for an oil that has been in this engine since it was 24k young.

In fact it's common to see 5w-40 50501 UOAs come back with from 2.0L/134hp PDs in this ODO range with Fe wear rates in the 8-10ppm / 1000 mile range.

TornadoRed's 50601 UOA on his 90hp / 1.9L / VE TDI was not good - but comparing it with this is apples and oranges.

cheers
cheers.gif

Glad to see you stuck with the same oil - maybe a 10k or 15k test to see if the numbers fall in line. If you get a negative result, consider 507.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back