02 F350 schaeffers15W40 10364miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif
This sample has me concerned and I am working with Terry dyson. High iron, aluminum and copper.

aluminun 5
Chromium 3
iron 37
copper 12
lead 6
tin 0
moly 230
nickel 1
manganese 0
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 13
boron 5
silicon 12
sodium 6
calcuim 3588
magnesium 9
phosph 1211
zinc 1385
barium 0

sus 73.8
flashpoint 430
fuel antifreez 0
water 0
insolubles .3
TBN 7.6

Historically iron has crept up. On previous tests at
19,500 on oil FE was 36
6,000 FE was 15
10,767 FE was 34
4,365 FE was 11
11,600 FE was 27

As the mileage goes up so does the FE, I am running no mods, a Ford AIS severe duty air filter and doses of FP 60 and LC 20. The increase in iron really has me worried. The turbo housing and bolts are secure and no appreciable leaks, although the front seal appears to have a very slight leak, just dirty. The front seal was changed at 29,000 miles on the truck. Do not know if that could be an issue.

The coolant level looks good. It is just above the min mark. I would assume I would notice a drop in the level if I had a leak. I will have to monitor it and try and determine if it is dropping.

I'm sure Terry will tell you if it's a problem. My guess is a little internal coolant leak wouldn't drop the coolant level much but it's just a guess.

It takes a surprisingly small amount of coolant to cause major problems. In many cases the amount of coolant lost is not noticeable in an engine with 8+ gallons of capacity. Coolant related telltales don't look real bad yet, would be nice to compare previous UOA's if you have any.

Copper could be coming from cam bearings. Copper could be from some types of sealers used on gaskets. I also wouldn't rule out turbo journal bearings, especially if the engine has ever seen any hot shutdowns. The Airesearch TP38 turbo's that International used the T444E/7.3l PowerStrokes were not the greatest when brand new.

At any rate, don't get real excited just yet. I'd re-sample at half your normal oci and see what the wear metals look like. In the mean time, double check coolant consumption and condition - make sure the coolant has the correct SCA charge!!!! Also check the turbo condition and the intake plumbing from the filter to the compressor for leaks (which will appear as streaks on the inside of the hoses).

I have checked all the air intakes, clean as can be. The coolant does concern me, I have the gold coolant, so no SCA testings supposedly. I will have to do some more checking.

We are working on correcting and perfecting this issue.

LargeCar, people don't pay me to get them normal and this one has been a struggle to perfect. Too many moving targets...:)

"Normal"that allows 3 ppm of ring wear is not normal for me in any 7.3 PSD engine.

My goal forour consumer level customers is annual oil analysis costing $50.00 US while achieving lowest possible wear, best performance, highest efficiency ( fuel), culminating in a unit that ultimately is less costly to operate and will glean a better return at sale or trade in time.

TD

Large, no proposing Bro, been doing it for the past year. 1 Premium Service test ( provided no major issues or problems to work) and thats all you'll pay. With the money I save you $50 is cheap insurance!

Buster I would characterize our Service as pragmatic perfection driven. I know what can be achieved based on bench and IDEAL condition of unit, lube, and tune. I simply seek that goal which in most cases exceeds the customer expectations.

TD

I would like to know what this iron level issue is too. I have a fleet of powerstorkes that would continually get high iron levels even running a bypass filter and schaeffers. No one has ever been able to pin it down and all other numbers look good with no fuel dilution or dirt intrusion.

Someone said at a Kendall lab about rocker issues that maybe causing it?

Thanks,

500hpz06vette, I had two issues corrected at the dealer. Front seal leak and small leak on one hpop seal. No clue if they are the cause or not. I have changed the oil and am going to sample at 5,000 miles and see what turns up.

The dealer situation was a nightmare, they tried to get me to do so much stuff it was not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back