TxTag - Texas Toll Road Windshield Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me, or does it seem completely idiotic that these tags are required to be placed in the center of the windshield, below the rear view mirror, creating yet another potential blindspot in the drivers critical field of view?

The NYS EzPass tags go in basically the same spot, but I have found that they are usually obscured by the rear-view mirror itself, creating no blind spot.

"Below" instead of "behind" is sheer brilliance.
laugh.gif

Quote:

Is it me, or does it seem completely idiotic that these tags are required to be placed in the center of the windshield, below the rear view mirror, creating yet another potential blindspot in the drivers critical field of view?

Behind, not below.

"The TxTag sticker is a thin device that goes on the inside of your windshield behind your rearview mirror."

http://www.txtag.org/tagbasics.html

Quote:

Quote:

Behind, not below.

"The TxTag sticker is a thin device that goes on the inside of your windshield behind your rearview mirror."

http://www.txtag.org/tagbasics.html

Read the complete instructions.

http://www.txtag.org/taginstall.html

It needs to be installed 1/2" below the mirror attachment point. That puts it if field of view for some cars with taller drivers. Ask me how I know.

Will agents of the Department of Measurements pull you over and measure proper sticker placement? *imagines posse, wielding tape measures, from 'The Wild Bunch' galloping after 427*

What if I have a car that has the rearview mirror mounted on the dash (like many older sports cars) and not attached to the windshield or roof? What then?
tongue.gif

In the three cars that have them in our family... they are behind the rear view from the driver's perspective and does not block anything, nor create any blind spot.

Quote:

Will agents of the Department of Measurements pull you over and measure proper sticker placement?

Exactly. Just like they will worry about the placement of your renewal stickers on your license plate and emission/nspection sticker. Its about the money not the placement.

What ever happened to the driver side rear window
confused.gif
Or is this the new and improved version that allows you to not even break stride as you go through the toll booth ..as in laser targeting scan from afar?

But, for me, the mirror itself appears to create some challenges on it's own. Way too often, if you're on a "same plane" merging situation, the merging car (as it is vectoring in on a collision course) is masked by the mirror. When they fall off, as they eventually do (or the windshield gets replaced), I have it placed higher on the windshield.

All the rear view mirrors I'm familiar with (GM and Chrysler) have two pivot points so you can raise the height of the mirror for us tall people. The EZ passes around here can go behind the mirror so it doesn't block you view of anything. I suspect a little variation of placement for the TX ones wouldn't make any difference.

My rear view has the two pivot feature as all do. That doesn't mean it's in the same spot or gives you the same view. In my case, and this is surely a size specific situation, I'm "sitting taller" then someone 6'4" (typically). I'm 6'1" with a 30.5 inseam. Most of such height typically have more of their height in the legs ..as in a 34-36" inseam. I can have the mirror sitting on the upper edge of the windshield and get a great rear view ..but can't manipulate it into that position from where it is now. Now if the windshield was further away ..and the arm on the mirror longer ...
dunno.gif

Not a problem common to most. It's the liability of being a tall dwarf.
smile.gif

I wish they could be transferred to different cars like the Oklahoma Pikepass stuff can. I remember just pulling it off one vehicle and holding it up to the windshield when I drove by in another vehicle. The brochure said that they would be damaged if removed after placed. Does that mean that anyone who replaces a windshield also replaces a TxTag?

Quote:

If I lived there, I'd put a clear film between the tag and the windshield, so I could move it if need be.

That's the only way I've ever attached any sticker to the inside of the windshield or windows. Clear static cling film can be bought in sheets at graphics and art supply stores.

I don't see any ethical problem in making your pass transferrable as long as it's for the same weight class of vehicle. I wonder if the RFID chip uses encryption, to prevent copying.

Off the topic of sticker, but. First real encounter with toll roads was those on the Oklahoma Indian reservations a month or so back . LOVE 'EM!! Super smooth, high speed limit, good signage, and the people who use them PAY for them.

Pity Arkansas can't get this sort of road program.

Bob

TollTag is Big Brother (make the "convenience" nearly mandatory by reducing pay lanes, etc); never a problem here in windshield placement. Can't move from vehicle to vehicle, that is a violation of contract that they back up with transponder code versus license plate. Ask me how I know.

Quote:

Quote:

If I lived there, I'd put a clear film between the tag and the windshield, so I could move it if need be.

That's the only way I've ever attached any sticker to the inside of the windshield or windows. Clear static cling film can be bought in sheets at graphics and art supply stores.

RFID Encrypted? Yes.

RFID number is also crosschecked against your license plate number it takes a picture of every time you drive thru a toll plaza. Thus, not transferable.

Replace a windshield? Buy a new RFID embedded sticker at your expense.

Car stolen? Pay for all charges until it's reported stolen. Then buy a new RFID embedded sticker at your expense if you need to buy a replacement vehicle.

I wonder if they'll give us a rebate on gasoline taxes for the gasoline I use while on the toll road? NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back