Nissan/Infiniti VQ30DE- Timing chain or Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this has a belt or chain? Looking at a used I30 with 87,000 miles and want some price haggle room!
wink.gif
Thanks in advance.

It is a 1997 with 87,000 miles. 2 owner car by older couple. They want $4500. They just bough two new audi's and say the Infiniti is taking up space.

best year to get. I have the 2 97 max. I would try and get them down a little more but if it is in mint condition and nothing else is wrong with it that isnt too bad of a price.

Quote:

best year to get

Nope , although I understand your logic and largely agree with your preference in regards to 1997 and a/your Maxima(s) .
smile.gif
thumbsup.gif

However , when considering the first gen I30 alone , there are useful objective and " majority opinion " subjective differences in favor of the 98 over the 97 esp. from a DIY /age/parts/service perspective . The 98 I30 also enjoys a small/significant - durability/reliability advantage over a 99 as well , although it would be wrong to characterize overall desirability as all one way in favor of the 98 .

The reason for all this is that there are more " evolution " DOM/MYR differences ( think leapfrog ) between the I30 and the Maxima during this time period and some of what was " improved " on the 1997 Maxima didn't show up on the I30 until 1998 . Nothing earth shaking , but something a savvy shopper/future owner can definitely use to advantage . ( Paradoxically , some things on the 98 I30 didn't get to the Maxima until 99 and if memory serves correctly , a few until early 2000 production . )
In regards to the original post any of them will work and work well as long as the usual suspects are rounded up and considered , ie local market prices , age , mileage , color , equipment , previous history , condition , condition , condition , and CONDITION . Did I say condition ?
twocents.gif
smile.gif

Great car, great engine, I've got a 98...love it, i know a guy who had about 200k on his I30 and finnally sold it because he had wanted a G35 for so long, and was waiting for his i30 to break...but it never did

Quote:

Great car, great engine, I've got a 98...love it, i know a guy who had about 200k on his I30 and finnally sold it because he had wanted a G35 for so long, and was waiting for his i30 to break...but it never did

There's a 98 in my familly fleet as well - it just earned its first strip recently crossing 160k without a dime over a very low cost normal kind of a routine maint. program . I'm whipping this familly fleet into shape ( and a couple of familly members as well ) and I have to look for things to do on it besides washing , tire pressure ' fluid changes , etc .Its worn well on everybody including me .
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Couldn't agree with you more I'm an engine guy at heart .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back