Tested 65.0

Flashpoint
Should be >385
Tested 325

Fuel Dilution
Should be Tested 3.0

No Antifreeze

Insolubles 0.3

BlackStone Comments: Most wear stayed steady in this most recent sample from your Golf. Copper increased, and although it's not cautionary, we will keep an eye on it for you. It's probably a response to your long oil change interval, though it may also be related to the fuel. Last sample we found 2.8%; this time we found 3.0%. This is more than we like to see, though it's possibly from idling or stop-and-go driving. Be
sure to take the engine out on the highway before sampling next time. If fuel is still present, we'll suspect a problem is developing. Check back.

Right column was a run of Chevron Supreme for 4,000 miles. Middle Column was previous run of GC. Left column is current run of GC gold. The car has gone off to college and I see it very rarely, hence the long drain this time. This is why I buy good oil and run short intervals, because someone always “forgets” to say something when it's due for service! At any rate, I'm not really concerned with the fuel, I'm sure the car is idle quite a bit since it's in colder county now, and some of it maybe from me driving from the house down to the garage which takes about 1.5 minuets. I can't complain about the way GC performed here.

I think what impresses me the most is that this engine did not use any oil! Most 2.0s are oil drinkers, my mom has a 2001 Golf with this engine and on her last interval of 7600 miles it burned two quarts of GC!

I'd run a bottle of Redline SL-1, Complete Fuel System Cleaner through this thing, change the air filter/plugs and start using better gas. There is NO WAY a 2.0L,non-turbo, fuel injected engine should ever have 3.0% fuel dilution.

Oil analysis results look fine and this engine is very easy on oil, due to the low specific Hp output and low fuel consumption. I consistently run 15k/1 yr intervals with the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30 in these engines....

My mom only drives about 3-4k a year in hers, so I'm only going to change her oil every 2 years. The last oil analysis report showed it was safe. No doubt the 2 quarts of makeup oil helped in that regard though, as the TBN was still very good.

Yeah I put in a new coolant temp sensor in my 2003 1.8T. I've also found that the NGK Double Platinum plugs (stock on my engine at least) work better (and last longer) than Denso Iridium plugs and the cheap but short lived NGK copper plugs. I don't know if the 2.0 has coilpacks like the 1.8T does but these have been problematic for many people too. The engine will misfire under hard acceleration usually if one of the coilpacks is bad. Mine have last 75k miles without a problem though. Overall, my VW has been excellent. I just got lucky this time.

JAG,

So far 64k on the coil packs in my 2002 Audi TT with no issues (I think). Can you see if there is a coil pack issue by evaluating the spark plug deposits???

thanks!

TS

I'm not sure TeeDub but I doubt it since any plug fouling that a few misfires every now and then might cause would probably be cleaned off by all of the successful plug sparkings. If the coilpack is bad enough to cause enough misfires to keep the plug fouled, I think you would easily notice it from the driver's seat. Plus, you'll get a check engine light if misfires occur. You and I both seem to have gotten good coilpacks!

Quote:

I think what impresses me the most is that this engine did not use any oil! Most 2.0s are oil drinkers, my mom has a 2001 Golf with this engine and on her last interval of 7600 miles it burned two quarts of GC!

Agreed. My sister-in-law's same car used 2 quarts every 2k. Quality.
You apparently have a very tight engine.

The 2.0L 8valve AZG engine has a single coilpack. Which have a low failure rate.
1707_x150.jpg

Chris and Jag, when a 1.8T coilpack goes bad, they'll cause the car to become underivable. With anymore than 60K on a original set, save yourself some heartache and replace them soon. Use the older version from the AWD engine which are much more reliable. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/page...amp;engine=1.8T

The car should have had some makeup oil, about 1.5 quarts, but it doesn't seem to "burn" any oil. The makeup oil was due to a seeping oil filter. The car has had a recent (within 15K) set of plugs, wires, air filter and fuel filter so the fuel dilution is NOT a result of lack of PM. It's due to the cold weather and idle time. Also, as I stated in my original post that I (cold start) moved the car from the driveway and drove around to the back of the house and put the car in front of my big garage. This certainly didn't help the fuel dilution issues any. I don't think there is anything unreasonable about 3.0% dilution, although I do admit it is higher than I like to see. I'd have to look to be sure, but I don't think I have ever seen anything less than about 1.0% fuel dilution in the cars life since it joined the fleet in 2001 with 11K on the clock. I usually do 4000K miles drains, so 3.0% on 10k in cold weather isn't a surprise.

Patman - the low millage maybe a source of the "high" oil consumption?

Also, gas really isn't a factor I don't think. The car is filled up at a number of different stations, so it sees different brands all the time. These stations are also very busy so there is little chance of water/particulate contamination. Certainly the car has had some bad fuel in it's life, but I don't think it is significantly affecting the UOA's. Although it could be a factor is the higher than usual dilution this sample, I just don't see 3-8 gallons of fuel being enough to jack up the fuel dilution in the course of 10K miles work of fuel being burned. I have carbon cleaned it once using MotorVac's system, and it gets a bottle of cleaner about every 6 months, some time more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back