oil of wintergreen???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a reference to using oil of wintergreen as a penetrating oil in a Navy tech manual dealing with freeing up rusted bolts. Has anybody heard of such a thing?

andyd, I have seen references to the use you mentioned, but I haven't encountered a wrench-turner who ever used the stuff.

Unless you are trying to go natural or something, my guess is that most modern penetrants will outperform methyl ester of salicylic acid, which might best be left to muscle pain rubs, birch beer flavoring, and covering pesticide odor.

But maybe wintergreen oil is a good penetrant??? Too much of it is toxic though, so the natural angle has its limits.

Found this stuff online and it sais it has oil of wintergreen in it. If nothing else it should smell good.
smile.gif

Rust Reaper lubricant.

"Mike said one unique ingredient used in the lubrcant is Oil of Wintergreen, which gives it all distinctive smell. He added old mechanics believe it is an excellent penetrant."

well, I know MMO smells like oil of wintergreen, I know it dissolves carbon deposits. Then I came across this reference in the Navy manual and I 've got this bottle of 98% methyl salicylate. It's synthetic BTW.

I doubt that the "wintomint" lifesavers are going to get anywhere.

Smokey reckoned that he used oil of wintergreen to maks his rocket fuel in his nascar days.

CRC Industries used to make a product named "CRC 5-56," which was a penetrating and general purpose oil that smelled like wintergreen. In the late 90s when I wanted to get some more I could not find any. I called CRC and found out they changed the name to "CRC Power Lube." Bought some and notice they eliminated the wintergreen smell.

Quote:

CRC Industries used to make a product named "CRC 5-56," which was a penetrating and general purpose oil that smelled like wintergreen. In the late 90s when I wanted to get some more I could not find any. I called CRC and found out they changed the name to "CRC Power Lube." Bought some and notice they eliminated the wintergreen smell.

I found a BUNCH of it, go to a local dollar store. Find those "generic" 4-1 WD40 clones with a very plain (blue, yellow, red) labels. Right under that wrapper is a foreign bottle of 5-56. There is a load of it at my dollar store. I picked up a can a few months ago, found this label under and and at the time didn't know what it was. Mine smells ALOT like marvel mystery oil, very tasty smell
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back