Need advise proper oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR8

I have a diesel engine made by V.M. Motori, the R428 DOHC. Irregardless of the vehicle manufactures recommendations what is the proper oil for this engine? I live at 5,500 foot elevation and seasonal temperatures of 10-100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wow, You know that the manufacturer goes through some serious effort to determine the correct oil for the engine.

What are the mfg's req oils? Maybe you should stay within that range.

I am currently using Delvac 1 in some of my diesel engines. One UOA is on it's way, so very soon I will know how the oil performs. From the looks of it, it will be a very good set of results.

Is the 5-40 viscosity range acceptable for this engine?

Chris

5W-40 is listed as acceptable, 0W-40 is favored.
I was considering going to 15W-40 for the higher HTHS. And using an oil pan heater.

You are correct I should just use specified oils. Reading my thoughts after your post brought clarity. Thanks.

Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 has a great HTHS, and good cold cranking numbers. This would be my choice if you can get it. It seems to work universally well in a variety of diesel applications here where I experience a similar range of temps--I go a little colder however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back