1200 Sportster vs. 96 inch Fat Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the 1200 Sportster stock for stock besides the V-Rod use to be Harleys fastest bike. Are the newer 96 inch V-twins faster then the 1200 Sportsters? I'm intrested in the 07 Fat Boy in perticular. Wht kind of speed difference are we talking here? Thanks!!!

As far as speed it would be hard to say. are you talking Top speed? 1200cc 5speed VS. 96ci 6speed. ? or are you talking 1/4 mile speed? see you cant just go by engine size alone. i used to have a kawasaki 800cc cruiser it was faster than the kawasaki 1500cc cruisers. but the 1500's had a ton more torque and could climb hills withOut having to downshift. My 800 was just as fast as the 1200 sportster. but your comparing completely difference techonologies.. I will say this when i got rid of my 800cc cruiser and got a 2053cc cruiser i now know what Torque is!! going from 49ci to 125ci is mind blowing.so even though the 96 may or maynot be faster it surely will have alot more Torque!

chris http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye

I suspect that in a 50 to 70 or 60 to 90 shoot out, the TC96 would win. Stop light to stop light, and probably 1/4 mile, the 1200 XL will be the winner, hands down.

Heck, I think my 883 XL will take any stock Big Twin stop light to stop light.

The new 96" twin cam makes little more power than the old 88". That being said, I agree that in the short run, the 1200 sporty will be ahead. After a few hundred feet, the 96" will probably start getting it's wind. It's alot of apples to oranges though. The FLSTF is a heavier bike, in the soft tail line, a completely different animal from the sporty.

Quote:

I suspect that in a 50 to 70 or 60 to 90 shoot out, the TC96 would win. Stop light to stop light, and probably 1/4 mile, the 1200 XL will be the winner, hands down.

You mean, any other Stock Harley big twin, of course.....right?
smirk.gif

I ment off the line speed. I figured a 96ci 6 speed would have more top speed. I care more about going the fastest off the line to the posted speed limit.
I just say a custom 2005 Fat Boy with a 103ci Screamin' Eagle engine and really nice paint that looked lile it was pealing right off the steel for $25,000!!!!!! To much for me! Wonder how fast it is with that 103ci??? It must really fly...for a Fat Boy!

hey TITAN i was thinking the samething.. my friend has a 883C and my vulcan 800 was faster than it was with a 10% smaller engine. even when we climbing hills i pulled away. but like someone else said , apples to orange.

smirk.gif

Quote:

Quote:

smirk.gif

Of course, since the question being asked was Sportster vs TC96 Big Twin.

FTR, only Harley makes a Big Twin. Everything else is a Pretender.
patriot.gif

The TC88 & 96 engines are not drag bikes in any sense of the word. I would think the sporty would out run it until freeway speed. I have had both 883 & TC88 and my sportster was definitely faster off the line. But if you are looking to buy a FatBoy for drag racing you might wish to rent one first before you plop down your $$$. JMHO.

The two bikes are about equal in a 1/4 mile.
1/8 mile the sport will have a little advantage.
It comes down to riders. How quick are you off the line.
Knowing your bike and how it will re-act. Knowing your shift points.
You can beat a lot of bikes if you can get the start on them.
The 103" Fatboy will take the sporty. Just go down to your dealer and take one for a test ride. They don't go like a V-Rod but they do go.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smirk.gif

Of course, since the question being asked was Sportster vs TC96 Big Twin.

FTR, only Harley makes a Big Twin. Everything else is a Pretender.
patriot.gif

As someone that has owned Four different Harleys, I disagree.
cheers.gif

Harley does make a decent Medium Twin though, in my experience. BTW, does anyone know if Harley is still about 20% foreign-made parts?
blush.gif
I learned that to be true in the 90's when I noticed my rear Harley tail light lens was made overseas. Just curious what today's Harley foreign made content is...

There are always good deals on Harley's in Ohio during December-February. I paid less that $15k for a new 06 Lowrider last Winter. If you have a trailer and a long weekend you can't go wrong taking a trip up here if you work out the deal with the dealer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back