3 cyl mitsubishi diesel tractor sae10w vs. 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.....happy new year! I have a 1980's era Case/IH diesel tractor and the manual calls for sae 10w above-10 deg. F and sae 30 for above 32 deg. F. I am having trouble finding sae 10w except at my local IH dealer which I can only get in 5 Gal. pail. I was told (by another tractor dealer) that these are old specs and I can safely run Rotella 15w-40 all year. When I changed the oil for winter, it was about 30 degrees F outside and the 15w-40 looked a little on the "thick" side. I am a little concerned that I will damage the engine. Any thoughts?

I have a Cub Cadet 30 horse tractor with a Mitsubishi 3 cyl. engine. My dealer told me to put 15w-40 in it also. But I figured the engineers who designed it knew more about it than the dealer. Amsoil sells an SAE 30 diesel oil that also qualifies as a 10w-30. That's what I've been using. I don't sell Amsoil, but do use it.

I run Kubotas and the manuals also suggest a 10W30 OR10W40. I have run 5W40 HDEO synthetic in all of them with great results. The start up well with almost instant oil pressure and are a full 40W that protects perfectly considering the fact that I run the snot out of them constantly.
A tech guy confirmed it was a good choice and he also used a 5W40. He answered my e-mail that I sent to Kubota concerning correct oil useage.

I wouldn't be afraid to use a good HDEO 10W-30 in it, either Dino or Syn. I have a Ford 3-cyl diesel tractor and run Dino 15W-40 in it year-round with good results. I'd run 10W-30 in it since it's my "winter" tractor, but I use the 15W-40 in everything else and want to keep things simple for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back