80wt Hypoid gear lube..750 Honda Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I need to get educated on the subject of Hypoid Gear Lubes. My 750 Shadow uses a 80wt Hypoid Gear Lube in the final drive. How does this differ from like Redline D4ATF API GL-4? Or, what's the difference between Hypoid and any GL-4/5 ATF gear lube? Thanks Joe

When they state a 80w Hypoid gear lube.. Isn't that the same as Gear lube listed as 80-90wt. ? Im just courious..WD
I just put Valvoline 80-90w Hypoid gear lube in a Honda 4 wheeler rear gear that called for 80wt Hypoid Gear Lube. Just checking.
smile.gif

AGL can also be used for Hypoid gears, but is MUST be labeled as such. They generate higher shear loads than striaght cut gears and bevel gears.

If you Google Hypoid you will find all you ever wanted to know.

Quote:

A hypoid is the name given to a type of helical (spiral) gear. The main application of this is in the final drive of an automobile, where the direction of the drive carried by the propeller shaft has to be turned through 90 degrees in order to power the driven wheels. Conventional straight-cut or spur-cut gears, with perpendicular teeth, are considered to be too noisy in use, and a normal spiral bevel does not always give sufficient contact area. The hypoid gear places the pinion off-axis to the crown wheel which allows the pinion to be larger in diameter. In a normal passenger car the pinion is always offset to the bottom of the crown wheel. This provides for longer tooth contact and serendipitously allows the propeller shaft that drives the pinion to be lowered, reducing the "hump" intrusion in the passenger compartment floor.

A hypoid gear incorporates some sliding and can be considered halfway between a straight-cut gear and a worm gear. Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action creates extreme pressure between the teeth.

Arent most gear oils also labeled for hypoid applications? Every gear oil I've bought in recent years was spec'd as being ok for Hypoid gears. I just put Amsiol Severe Gear in my ATV diff's and it was spec'd for hypoid gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back