electric-oil room heater exploded!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the radiator just split causing some of the most vile, toxic smelling vapour to spew out for a minute.. oil was everywhere, it was sprayed in a 2 meter radius and the entire house reaks!! Everything has absorbed soem degree of this dirty sulfur asphalt crude oil smell....it is more invasive than a roof tarring! The oil heater was made in china and this is presumably chinese oil. it ***in' stinks is it toxic!?!?
crushedcar.gif

Can't tell what #@$%! they put in it, but some years ago, Indian made (cheap) sleeping bags had allegedly used bandage material in them as ticking (washed, but still eewww).

Sounds like the thermostat failed...I'd guess.

Not nice 'though

Chinese sometimes ignore all rules in search of almighty renmimbi. Probably:

1) Lousy weld seam, uncertified welder, equipment, etc
2) Oil could be anything, probably used. I doubt it has PCB's but it could be waste PCB.
3) I would report it and I would lawyer up. Sue them for every thing that is solid. I'm not telling you to fake it, but I can think of at least 2 or 3 damages let alone the real material damage.
4) Get a sample and save all the evidence.

I have a Lakewood #5500 that I got at Walmart on the cheap ($32). Bought it on a lark cause my brother and son-in-law use them. Can run 600w (1 switch), 900w (2nd switch), or 1500w (both switches. Have only ran it on 900w--didn't like it--prefer my cheapie little space heaters cause they're smaller, won't burn you, and push the air around. Max-Wander: What wattage were you running when it exploded? Anyone hear anything about the 5500?--looks just like the pictured. Off topic Rant: Last night I clicked on epinions to review stereo equipment, and today I clicked on Pablo's epinions address----both times epinions locked me into their site, and no matter what I tried, couldn't get out. Had to shut-down computer and reboot both times. Is anybody else experiencing this?? Have a 6-7 year old Compaq that my internet-guru son-in-law fixed up with a new hard-drive and Windows 2000-PRO. Have AT&T/SBC DSL and use Mozilla-Firefox browser, am on many, many sites, and can't remember ever getting locked up like this before.

Pull up your task manager and stop FF from working. It happens to me even with a brand new (about a gen behind) Toshiba laptop. On my older Toshiba I just kept the TaskMan minimized ...more of a test to see if anything "new" showed up. This new one has way too many tasks running (66) ..while my old one was about 39. This assumes that your mouse is still working ..or that you can manipulate the elements with your keys to get it in the foreground.

wow, scary...

We have a relatively well insulated, finished walk up attic. The only thing that it is missing is a radiator. So, I got an oil filled radiator this fall to put up there. I have it set to keep the attic roughly at 60F, so it is set really low and doesnt come on often. however, it does cycle on and off especially at night on really cold days.

Now Im kind of worried...

JMH

lol obbop - ionically i was watching old nuke footage MINUTES before this happened!

Well the heater's brand is a generic licensed brand now in use by Canadian Tire (NOMA) and I bought it over a year ago: no receipt. Odd thing is this heater has been in service for over a year, and has even been on maximum settings quite a few times. After much scrubbing and acetone/water solution the smell is gradually fading, however it still smells like several rooms have been paved. AMazing how quickly one's olfactory senses habituate to sulfur like smells. I left the house with my jacket on and had to take it off because i stunk (coming back home was anothr thing)!

Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you and I wish you and your families all the best in the 07 ! Cheers!

I've had two deLonghi's in regular use for twelve years and four others in regular use for 5 years (Central unit was very badly designed).
Two months ago I replaced the central unit with two new units (one for each floor), and I haven't used the radiators since.
Excellent (and cheap to buy and cheap to run) background heaters...
My D-I-L is in a small apartment in New Hampshire while my son is 'in the sand'. I bought her two of these and now her whole apartment is cosy for 1/10th the running cost of her (ancient oil-fired) central heating.

I had a DeLonghi oil-filled radiator-style heater quite a few years ago- I remember the thing had a rather strong odor that sorta smelled like askarel (PCB transformer oil) even though it was bought circa 1984 or so. Never exploded though.

Very strange.

In the last year I've pulled 4 of those things out of friends houseboat engine compartments and replaced with spark protected marine certified engine compartment heaters. Even though they are cheap, when thermostat closes there is a SPARK!!!! In a marine engine compartment where any fuel leak creates a huge bomb, It's much preferable to spend $450.00 for UL listed marine (sparkproof) heater. Plus in the event of fire/explosion insurance companies WILL NOT pay if home type heater is in use.

Bob

This thread had me scared until I read the positive experiences with the Delonghi heaters. I have a $20 DeLonghi 2-switch oil heater 4 inches away from me right now! AAAHHH!!! If it done 'splodes I'm gonna look like one of those Geico cavewomen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back