Tell Me About Group VI PIO (polyinternalolefins)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me about Group VI PIO (polyinternalolefins)...
dunno.gif
confused.gif

FWIW,

Group VI base stocks are polyinternalolefins (PIOs), which are of a similar chemistry to PAOs in that both are manufactured by the oligomerisation of linear olefins. They offer similar performance in engine tests to Group III and Group IV base stocks and are slightly inferior to PAOs in terms of viscosity index, volatility, and low temperature properties.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060276354.html

dunno.gif

Tom, Mola, bruce, JAG?

o2man98, I had seen that before. I was looking for something a bit more indepth, thanks.

427Z06, thanks. You gave me a little more to work with. Now maybe some of the heavy guns will chime in with bit more in the way of personal opinion/experience.

I assume they use a different feedstock to produce? ie different "linear olefins"?

Hi Gene & 427,

"Alpha" olefins are linear hydrocarbons with a double bond in the "alpha" position, that is, between the first and second carbons. "Internal" olefins would haven the double bond "internal", that is, further down the hydrocarbon chain as opposed to between the first and second carbons. When you oligomerize the internal olefins the resulting "polyinternalolefin" should have more and shorter branching compared to PAOs which would reduce the VI and raise volatility to some degree. Otherwise I would expect them to perform similar to PAOs.

Sales of PIOs were hurt badly by stiff competition from PAOs and Grp IIIs, and the Sasol plant in Italy where they were made was running below 50% capacity. It may have been shut down based on comments in a 2004 Sasol report.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back