Tire losts all pressure, but shop can't find leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got to work one morning after a 10 miles drive on the highway, the tire is almost completely flat in the parking lot. It is observed when I got out of my car, and about 3 mins before I reach the parking, I "think" I hear a loud POP at local traffic.

I put the spare on and take the loose tire/wheel to sears, and they check everything and couldn't find out why it was leaking. They say they even take the tire out and check from the inside, put under water, and still couldn't find the leak. So they mount the tire back on and charged me the same as if the tire is patched. They also suggested that it may be my rim/wheel (steelie).

After 2 days of driving, it seems fine so far and the pressure is holding up. What could be it? and will it occur again?

The last time this tire was mounted/patched was probably about 1 year ago.

How often do you check/fill your tires with air. Needs to be at least once a month. What happens is the tires loose a couple pounds a month and when it get low it gets worse. Combine that with winter where you loose a pound every 10 degrees F and you can have real issues.

You may have just suffered from neglecting your tires if they have not been filled regularly. Or if you had Jiffy Boobs or other shop do it who knows what you got. Even worse relying on a gas stations gage.

The other thing to worry about is the condition of the rim. Corrosion, dents, bad valves. All can lead to loss of air.

If they did a good inspection and it is fine 2 days later (Did you check you pressure or look at it (can't look at a radial and tell much) you are probably just fine.

Quote:

possible bad valve stem? ive had that cause leaks before.

That very well is a high liklyhood. You can purchase valve stem wrench thingys that allow you to tighten the valve in the stem to avoid this little phenomenon.

Valve stem = the thing the valve core screws into. Bend it over a ways (obviously, don't try to lay it over completely...) and see if its cracked. If it is, you'll hear the air leak when you bend it just right.

Alex.

From your location I'd guess you don't get very cold weather, but a tire that's already low will sometimes leak rapidly at bead in cold weather. Another posibility is trash/dirt pushed into bead seal area from pothole, veering off roadway, etc. When tire shop brakes beads trash will ofen fall out eliminating problem. If it stays at full presure for a couple of days, I'd guess problem is solved (whatever it was). Buy a gauge if you don't already have one and use ocasionally.

Bob

It is very common for alloy wheels to react with the salt and water along the bead area and eventually create an area for air to leak. You have two choices. A can of leak fixer, or, far better, remove the tire and clean the wheel and apply a good sealent before reinstalling the tire. Right after cancer, I wish they would find a cure for this.

Richard.

I visually check the tire pressure daily (everyday when I get back home). A few days prior I was pumping it back up from 30psi to 35psi (according to the Craftsman pump). The morning I notice this, I was driving to work when I pull into the parking lot. The tire/wheel wasn't extremely hot so I know it is not popped before I got on the highway.

It is in warm climate (60F), dry weather, and on steel wheel. The tire was mounted at least months if not a year ago, and was pumped a couple days prior (forgot exactly when).

I did hear a loud pop on the local road right before I pull into the company parking lot.

Try another shop. Sometimes one needs to leave the tire in the tank for awhile especially if it is a slow leak. Could even try nitrogen in your tires, larger modecules than O2 so air doesn't pass through your inner liner.

Quote:

Try another shop. Sometimes one needs to leave the tire in the tank for awhile especially if it is a slow leak. Could even try nitrogen in your tires, larger modecules than O2 so air doesn't pass through your inner liner.

Personally I think nitrogen in passenger car tires is mostly marketing fluff. The biggest benefit seems to be in using relatively dry air from a nitrogen generator such that water vapor expansion isn't an issue. Typical air is 79% nitrogen anyways, with the rest primarily oxygen. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of topping off with nitrogen every time my pressure drops. Still - the companies making the generators claim that they produce maybe 95% nitrogen air.

Certainly nitrogen makes sense in racing and aircraft (it's cold at seven miles up), but that's a lot of money to be paying for air in a passenger car tire unless it's included at no extra charge with tire installation or rotation.

Have them replace the valve stem and clean the beads on the wheel were the tire seals against it. Corrosion forms there. I did this s hit for 5 years seen it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back