windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops, let me clarify, once or twice a day. I'm definetnly buying this stuff again, when I can get it for $1.50 a jug at AAP.

I have 1 jug of Rainx left and will probably get it again when I can't afford the De Icer by Prestone. My main beef with my '00 car is that the washer lines from the hidden in fender tank have worn through. I put a section of rubber new fuel line, but it keeps popping off even with the clamps holding it on. It rests against the end of the prop rod, which is why it wore through in the first place.
rugerman.gif
Stupid GM design, similar to what happened with my headlight relay connection; rested on the tranny for 4 year cause the "designers" didn't put in a bracket to hold it up.
bop.gif
spankme.gif

Quote:

Around here in the Pacific Northwest, it does not get too cold as a rule (rarely below 12 degrees Fahrenheit) so we don't require lots of alcohol in the washer fluid. Good ol' 20/10 RTU is usually just fine. Wish I did have a cheap source of methanol, though, since I've got a gallon of 20/10 Super Concentrate which can make up to 880 gallons of windshield washer fluid- should last almost as long as my '95 Civic.

what is 20/10 super concentrate or 20/10 RTU???

Thanks,

JMH

Quote:

Has anyone used this & what are your thoughts?

P21S Windshield Wash Booster

P21 s products have been around for a very long time and work very well. I used to use their alloy wheel cleaner and also that washer fluid booster. The price appears to be marked up overly in the US, though. I'd go with the 20/10 super concentrate instead.

Quote:

what is 20/10 super concentrate or 20/10 RTU???

Thanks,

JMH

I apologize for the delayed reply. The 20/10 products may be local to the West Coast states, I don't know but they seem to be very popular here. Anyway, the "RTU" = Ready-To-Use windshield washer fluid, and the Super Concentrate is just that.

Not sure where 20/10's manufacturing facilities are but they may be in Oregon.

I use the Rain X washer fluid and I've noticed it works better when I have the time to clean the windshield with vinegar and remove all the old Rain X residue. Between a good cleaning, application of Rain X, clean wiper blades and Rain X washer fluid, it seems to work really well. Then again, I guess anything would after all that.

I got some Mr. Clean windshield fluid de-icer, it smells etremely strong, and I have been getting a bit of a white build-up. I am not a fan.

Here in Toronto, we usually need so much of the stuff due to salt spray/wet roads during the winter that I just pick up the cheapest stuff available. 4 gal. jugs for $5 at costco. Anything more is a waste of funds. I have tried the spray bottle de-icer (Prestone and Rain-X) for frozen ice on the glass. Helps along with the scraper.

However , if the blue washer fluid is freezing, you may still have the summer version mixed in that many gas stations slip in under your nose during the rest of the year.

Walmart sells a green/yellow fluid now that is about a dime more than the blue stuff.

Different is better I suppose, this one has a lower freezing point.

I have never head a problem mixing it with the blue stuff, or putting it into any system.

Nor have I noticed any added benefits over the regular blue stuff.

Stick with whats cheap in the winter I suppose.

The only stuff that made a difference was the "bug washer fluid", that works excellent in the summer time on bugs.

I just buy the Wal-mart special (think it is good for -40). Its great es[ecially you keep on topping off washer fluid tank.

Weird. The Rain-X deicer sold in Canada is Yellow in a squarish bottle. This is different that the pinkish fluid shown on their website. FWIW the yellow Rain-X works very well in the winter. I have sprayed it at temps as low as -25 with no issues.

I use whatever was on sale at the end of winter, usually some -30 for so stuff for 50 cents a gallon. I'll spike it with some 90% rubbing alcohol when needed, so that it at least clears frost without refreezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back