Amsiol bypass and TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased an amsoil/dieselgeek bypas filter system.
I am trying to find out what would be the optimum oil to use in this set up, from what I've read on TDIclub, it might be a good idea to use an oil without much VI additive, Im currently using GC 0w30, it works great in the cold of winter(today -10C).

The oil shouldnt matter as far as the bypass system goes.

However, for a diesel, Id prefer a more diesel-oriented additive package. Perhaps the amsoil 0w-30 or 5w-30 (I forget what it is), that has a CI-4 or so add pack.

Granted, bypass should help prevent the soot loading that the diesel oils are designed to suspend, making a diesel spec oil less important in that regard, but regardless of combustion efficiency and whatnot, there are byproducts of combustion (even when using ULSD) that diesel oil sneed to counteract.

THus for extended drains, Id still want a newer diesel spec oil.. and if not doing extended drains, then I wouldnt waste the $$$ on a bypass system.

IMO...

JMH

The VW 505.00/ACEA B4 rated, GC, 0w-30 should work fine with the Amsoil bypass filter, since it will keep the soot concentration in check indefinitely.

I'd recommend testing the GC after 16,000km-20,000km to see how it's holding up. I'd also recommend a lower TBN limit of 4.0 in this application, and/or changing oil once it thickens by 20% due to soot loading - whichever comes first.

The third condemnation limit I'd use is for the concentration of ferrous materials in the oil analysis. In this case, I'd change the oil once the Fe concentration reaches 100 ppm in a used oil analysis. Iron concentrations >> 100 ppm can result in a "bootstrapping" of the wear rate and are generally to be avoided....

Post some actual used oil analysis data and I can give you a more concise recommendation as to the optimum OCI....

TD

Thanks for your feedback, I am now trying to decide between the GC0w30 or Esso XD3 0w30 which is a CI-4 PAO formula.
My plan is to change the VW filter at 16000km, get UOA and top up 1 L to replenish the add pac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back