What oil to use? (2000 Triumph Speed Triple)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with all the discussion on JASO standards, etc, etc, i am thoroughly confused. Triumph is a British bike, so is JASO even in play here? For what it is worth, I don't know the manufacturer's specs, as I bought the bike used and Triumph info is more difficult to come by. I've heard that it is recommended for 10-12K intervals, and the bike only has 9K on it, but as said, it's a 2000, so I figured it's time to change. Any info would help. Thanks in Advance!!!!!

I have a 2003 Sprint ST with the 955i triple. The Triumph/Mobil Racing 4T is a 15w-50. It's hard to imagine that it's very different from regular M1 15w-50. That's what I use.

I have a 2002 Speed four (4cyl 600) Triumph, and my owners manual calls for Mobil 1 15w-50 "triumph" oil only. I have researched the Gold cap 15w-50, and it has similar levels of Zinc and Phos. as the triumph branded 15w-50 from the UK.
The only difference i can see is that the vis at 212 for the triumph M1 15w-50 is 20.7, and the Gold cap is 17. This leads me to believe that a 20w-50 wold be a good replacement. Or if you don't race it, or ride hard in 100+ temps, i would feel good with a syn 10w-40. I think they spec out a 15w-50 because it is extra protection if run wide open (autoban) for hours on end. In the US, 10w-40 should do.

Mobil recommends you use the 20W-50 V-Twin as a substitute if "Triumph" oil is unavailable. Supposedly it has been tested for wet clutch operation + gearbox shearing and the M1 PCMO 15W-50 has not.

Personally I just use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic in my Japanese 4-Cylinders (Which Spec 10W-40). It seems very shear stable with its Shell XHVI Basestock. It never hurts that its available reasonable at the local WalMart.

Thanks for all the responses. I am running the 955i triple, so it shouldn't be revving as high as the 4 cyl. Seems like I could go with the 15-50 or the 10-40. I live in the Bay Area (Oakland, CA), so it is pretty rare that I am running long period of time at high temps. Usually, I am just doing my (less than 30 min) commute into San Francisco, where the temps are usually pretty cool.

I use BMW's 15W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. I think It's actually made by Spectro.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I went with the Mobil 1 10-40. I have a few hundred miles on the change, and it has been performing beautifully.

Thanks for all of your help.

-D

I got a note from BMW motorcycle tech support saying the BMW oil is made by Castrol.

Generally the European and US bikes spec 20W50 and the metrics 10W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back