'06 Ford 6.0 PSD Schaeffer's 5W-40 13,046 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Dad's truck. Oil Guard bypass filter installed on truck.
PSD.jpg

The fact that you have a bypass filter and you have such high (upper end) wear (especially the chromium) is troubling. You must have a serious air intake/filter problem.

Its not that bad.....10K would be a good round number to do a drain and full filter change. Change the bypass every other OCI...or 20K.

My 6.9 alway's came back within the high range of normal numbers and it has over 350K now. This 6.0 is within high normal range.

The silicon is a little high, but nothing a new air filter can't help out. Does it smoke black smoke when you put your foot in it? If it does...the filter needs changing.

The fuel dilution is very low for a diesel engine which is also good news. Tell your Dad he is fine and not be to concerned.

Given that you have a 1 um, bypass filter installed, these wear metal concentrations are very troubling. The vis of 67 SUS (approx 12 Cst) shows this 5w-40 sheared badly in this application, which is partially responsible for the elevated bearing wear. The 19 ppm of K may indicate a small coolant leak,which would make this problem worse.

The levels of Fe/Cr/Al indicate dirt ingestion that is causing an increase in upper engine wear. The key here is the 2 ppm of nickel, which can only come from the stainless steel used in the intake/exhaust valves. I'm guessing this engine has some sort of aftermarket intake system on it?

I'd recommend a short run of say 5000 miles using an SAE 15w-40 diesel oil - which should be more resistant to shearing. If you are still seeing abnormal wear, I'd do some serious testing for an internal coolant leak and I'd check all the connections on the intake system for air leaks.

Since TeeDub pointed out the possibility of a coolant leak, I just wanted to add that the local Ford dealer was having some major problems with the 6.0 blowing head gaskets. A friend was a diesel mechanic for the dealer and informed me of this.

It's not just Ford, all the VT365 engines have head gasket problems. The problem is made worse by trucks that don't work hard because the VGT vanes get sticky and cause an over-boost condition that contributes to HG failures.

This engine doesn't show the common high fuel dilution problem, that definitely a plus. I think that the numbers are a bit high, but considering the engine is still fairly new I wouldn't start to worry yet. I've change the oil, and re-sample about 7500 miles and see what happens. I am a little surprised to see the viscosity so low. These engines are tough on viscosity as they do shear the oil quite a bit, but the 9000 5w40 usually does a little better. I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back