Best 9005/9006 combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently bought new headlamps for my car, they've been through #@$%! and back and could no longer see #@$%! out of them. The bulbs that came with the new lamps are Phillips Hb3, 9005 high beams 9006 low beams. They seem to be decent, but im sure they're the cheapest bulbs money could buy, and I want the best.

So whats the best I can do? I have a 94 corolla, and I want to buy the best bulbs for visibility, don't care about tints or anything, just want a good performer. Just bought the silver star ultras, thought it was a good deal at $35 and then a 10$ mail in rebate, but after reading on here im gonna return them, as they dont seem that good on paper.

Also heard some talk about putting in a different model bulb in that would be brighter, like 9011 instead of 9006? Any downsides to that? Would it burn my lens or nuke my alternator?

Thanks

I like sylvania silverstars.

they are factory wattage.
the downsides to higher watt bulbs can include discoloring your lense to burning your wiring harness.

I've found that Silverstars don't last long at all, probably around 6 months. I like the color of light they put out though. I've been through 3-4 sets and finally ditched them because they didn't last. The same thing has been reported by many others so I know it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

I put in Sylvania XtraVision bulbs and I've had them in for at least a year. I've had no problems with them. I'll go GE Nighthawks next time just for comparison.

Thanks for the replies. Are the silver star ultras good then for $25? How are the toshiba HIR's compared to the silverstars? And also where could I even find the toshibas?

Thanks for any advice, my vision ain't 20/20, but not bad enough to justify me wearing glasses. Just looking for the best vision, the cost isnt too important, ill make that up somewhere else
wink.gif

IMO, I wouldn't buy any Silver Star bulb, even the Ultra's. I think they are priced too high for what you get.

Not sure about the Toshiba's, but the GE Nighthawks can be found at Wal-Mart for ~$25/pair.

Quote:

IMO, I wouldn't buy any Silver Star bulb, even the Ultra's. I think they are priced too high for what you get.

Not sure about the Toshiba's, but the GE Nighthawks can be found at Wal-Mart for ~$25/pair.

But since I got the silverstar ultras for the same $25 would they be a better choice?

I personally don't think so. I doubt they will last very long, even being the ultra's. Although, if you have already bought them, you might as well give them a shot.

I guess that's what im going to do, use the ones I have. It's not like $25 is a huge investment, and if they look good that's a plus.

Thanks guys

Since you have 9005/9006 fittings, you would benefit from HIR bulbs. 9012 will replace the low-beam 9006, and 9011 will replace the high-beam 9005.

You can get them through daniel stern, ebay, and some have even purchased through John Deer locations as they are OEM bulbs for certain tractors.

They are really bright, I have a pair of 9012 as my low-beams which I purchased through Daniel Stern

Put in the silverstar ultras, and man are they bright
shocked.gif
, i'll use these until they burn out, then maybe buy them again if I can find a good deal, if not ill get the GE. Honestly they're so bright I feel bad for the other drivers, they gotta be suffering.

thanks for the help guys

Anytime! Glad to hear you like them. Like you, I really liked the light they put out. Hopefully, those Ultra's will last longer than the standard Silverstars.

Silver Star bulbs sold in North America are coated with a blue dye that lowers their output by about 50%. To make them legal the vender had to boost the filiment output resulting in a shorter life. They still put out significantly light than a cheap clear OEM bulb even if the blue color makes you think they are OK in that department. I recommend that you avoid this and any other color dyed bulb.

Richard.

I really didn't care for the Silverstarts when I was using them. The light is whiter, but to my eyes, it didn't through any more light onto the road. When the first one burned out (after about 14 months), I just installed Xtra Visions and called it good.

I know of some people running the 9005 high beam bulb in the low beam position. You need to modify the bulb socket to do this (easy with a set of small, sharp wire cutters). I think the only advantage of this is the 9005 bulb doesn't have that glare cap on the end of the capsule like the 9006 does.

Quote:

I really didn't care for the Silverstarts when I was using them. The light is whiter, but to my eyes, it didn't through any more light onto the road. When the first one burned out (after about 14 months), I just installed Xtra Visions and called it good.

I know of some people running the 9005 high beam bulb in the low beam position. You need to modify the bulb socket to do this (easy with a set of small, sharp wire cutters). I think the only advantage of this is the 9005 bulb doesn't have that glare cap on the end of the capsule like the 9006 does.

The 9005's are rated 10 watts higher then the 9006's. I've had 9005's in my low beams for years, works great, easy mod.

Quote:

The 9005's are rated 10 watts higher then the 9006's. I've had 9005's in my low beams for years, works great, easy mod.

Being someone who isn't intimately familiar with sockets and what the 9005/9006 difference is, could you enlighten me as to what the modification is? Thinking of doing this for my 02 Exporer. Thanks!

Quote:

Quote:

Being someone who isn't intimately familiar with sockets and what the 9005/9006 difference is, could you enlighten me as to what the modification is? Thinking of doing this for my 02 Exporer. Thanks!

The sockets of both bulbs are the same.

IIRC, the only difference is there's two small "ribs" in the 9005 that prevents the plug for the 9006 from entering the socket.

You take some small, flush-cutting wire cutters and remove the ribs. Now the 9006 plug will fit into the 9005 socket.

Do this at your own risk. I've not done this so I personally can't speak to any issues about doing this mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back