Civic CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be changing the CVT transmission fluid on my Honda Civic Hybrid in the next week. The manual states that I need 3.1 quarts for a drain and 5.4 quarts for a dissembly. What is the best way to change this fluid - should I just let it drain out the drain hole or should I take the transmission housing off? I want to change as much as possible. I have heard of some problems with these transmissions if they are not maintained.

I haven't had any CVTs, but I have done drain/fills on several hondas over the years. Frankly, I'd just drain/fill per the severe schedule using Honda's fluid...but if you really want to get more if it out you can do multiple drain/fills. I'd say diminishing returns kicks in after 2 drain/fills at a time.

FYI- Honda recently released a CVT exclusive fluid for their CVT transmissions...this fluid is now used to service ALL Honda CVT units...even the ones that originally recommended using Z1.

I think the reason for the new fluid is for improved durability and performance. It's pricey though, about $10/qt.

It is $16.47 at my local Canadian Honda Dealer!! I hope this stuff is meant to last a lifetime with that price. Not sure if it is available any cheaper online. Usually after considering shipping costs, buying online is not worth it in Canada.
Thanks

It only takes three cans, so 50 bucks or so every few years? Not a big deal...

Some of the new HCHII vehicles with the ATF life monitor are calling for ATF replacements after only 20-25,000 miles.

Picked up the CVT fluid yesterday. The guy behind the counter said I needed to purchase 4 litres because the tranny should take 3.1 litres. I had the shop manual in the car and showed him that it took 2.9 litres. I then checked the owners manual again and it did say 3.1 litres. Anyone know why there would be a difference between the two manuals? Both are Honda manuals.

Just read my first post from last week. I must hae looked at the owners manual first too.

Replaced the ATF today on my Civic Hybrid. Went pretty well I think. All of the folks on the Green Hybrid forum who changed the fluid had a tough time taking out the ATF fill bolt, mine came out easily. The drain bolt was more of problem... my knuckles still hurt from when it finally let loose. Thanks to all who helped.
canada.gif

CVT fluids are special fluids in the category of "traction" fluids and are formulated for the special mechanisms in CVT, one of which is a belt or special chain which must not allow slipping on the cone(S).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back