When to switch to synthetic 2006 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a new Nissan Titan. I need to find out when is a good time to switch to synthetic oil. In the mean time what is a good conventional oil that would work with this engine. I am thinking of CHEVRON SUPREME for the first change and AMSOIL TSO 0w30 from then on. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated! Merry Christmas!
grin.gif
smirk.gif

Well, I'm thinking switching to a $$$ oil meant for extended changes while you are still under warranty might be a collosal was of money. The lower priced ASL will be just as good while saving you some jing. I am assuming you don't intend to extend OCI until after the warranty runs out.

Welcome BTW!

Last edited:
Amsoil fan I take it. Since its under warranty I would do exactly what the manual says. 7500 mi changes. Since that can be a little long for regular Dino I would use Amsoil XL 7500. That way you have a API certified oil and Nissan has no excuses if there is a problem.

Change out factory fill at 2500 mi or 6 months which ever occurs first

Change to Amsoil XL 7500 5W30 and run 5000 mi (7500 mi Odometer) or 6 months.

Change to Amsoil XL 7500 and run 7500 mi (15000 mi Odometer) or 6 months.

Continue to change every 7500 mi or 6 months.

When the warranty is out you can try ASL for 10,000 or TSO for 15,000 mi.

I've typically done one change with conventional oil on a new vehicle and then the second change with synthetic. This probably isn't neccessary with most modern engines, but I doubt it will hurt anything. I would change out the factory stuff at about 1,000 miles then put 3,000 miles on conventional oil and then change to synthetic. For warranty purposes I would follow the mfg. severe service oil change interval from there on out.

I don't think there is a need for syn oils unless you are trying for extended oil change intervals. What do you expect to gain? Does this vehicle require or recommend syn oil?

It does not mention synthetic oil in the owners manual. I was under the impression that synthetic oil will protect the engine better vs conventional (lubricate better resulting in less engine wear). I don't care for extending the oil changes. All I want is the best oil that will work best on this type of engine.
cheers.gif

Quote:

I was under the impression that synthetic oil will protect the engine better vs conventional (lubricate better resulting in less engine wear).

Your impression is incorrect.
grin.gif

If you are going to stay with the mfg recommended OCIs and the manual does not state that you NEED to run syn, you will get long life and a well protected engine using conventional oil.
approved.gif

We run UOA (used oil analysis) here and conventional oil shows the same or less wear metals as syn.

My best UOAs on my car have been with Conventional Pennzoil and with my truck was with Chevron. This is using UOAs for the same time period, same operation using Conventional vs Mobil 1 in the same engines.

The BIG thing in making sure you have a clean engine that will last a long time (other than driving it correctly) is using correct grade, KEEPING levels up and most of all, change the oil!
thumbsup.gif

Enjoy the truck!
Bill
patriot.gif

Thank you Bill. I was still undecided if to use Chevron or Halvoline. I have some Chevron Supreme 5w-30 that I will be using after reading your post.

I OWN A 2005 NISSAN TITAN. HAVE BEEN USING CASTROL SYNTEC 0W30 SINCE 1ST OIL CHANGE. ABOUT 2,000 MILES. AND I THINK SYNTHETICS ARE BETTER THAN DINO. MY AIR COOLED GENERAC GENERATOR SPECIFIES SYNTHETIC ONLY. THEY MUST THINK THE SYNTHETIC IS SUPERIOR OIL.

Quote:

I OWN A 2005 NISSAN TITAN. HAVE BEEN USING CASTROL SYNTEC 0W30 SINCE 1ST OIL CHANGE. ABOUT 2,000 MILES. AND I THINK SYNTHETICS ARE BETTER THAN DINO. MY AIR COOLED GENERAC GENERATOR SPECIFIES SYNTHETIC ONLY. THEY MUST THINK THE SYNTHETIC IS SUPERIOR OIL.

We are talking a Nissan pick up . Not an air cooled generater. Syn is not required or needed in that engine.

Quote:

Hello. I have a new Nissan Titan. I need to find out when is a good time to switch to synthetic oil. In the mean time what is a good conventional oil that would work with this engine. I am thinking of CHEVRON SUPREME for the first change and AMSOIL TSO 0w30 from then on. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated! Merry Christmas!
grin.gif
smirk.gif

You will read numbers here from one thousand miles to the maximum allowed by Nissan.

So I'll just pipe-in with a suggestion to begin synthetics at 3K. In the meantime, stay with the factory oil. The best deal on synthetic right now is Pennzoil Platinum at WalMart. You get a 5 quart jug for $18.97. My 2nd choice would be the Quaker State synthetic there for the same price.

You can switch to synthetic as soon as you like. I do not know if i would run Amsoil while under warranty. It just does not make sense unless you get it at cost to run an expensive oil like Amsoil,Redline,Motul ect.... for oil changes as short as 6 months or 7500 miles. I would consider Penzoil Platnium or plain jane non EP M1 for use while under warranty just for the cost saveings. Then when you do go to Amsoil consider Series 3000 5W30 it is a much better oil then Series 2000 0W30. We have have seen much better UOA with S3K then S2K!!!

Good to know. I looked on the Amsoil website and they don't mention series 3000 oil when I do a product application for the Nissan Titan. Looks like Series 3000 is mainly for diesel vehicles...

Changed my 06 Titan CC from factory fill to Q Torque Power 10w-30 (BOGO at AA) at 2700 miles. Engine makes no noises, has used no oil. Oil stayed very light as well. BTW whats up with the manual listing 6.5 qt for a change and it taking 7 qt to get to the full mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back