1996 Saturn SL2 100k miles valvetrain PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is my 3406E CAT was a lot cleaner at 650,000 mi.
(25,000 mi changes with Chevron Delo 400).

Looks a lot like my 270,000 mi 170 ci Slant 6 but it got regular old Group I 10W-30 for 30 years.

Quote:

I wouildn't worry about a little varnish. Close it up, keep the oil level topped off and you will never know the differnecey if you cleaned it or not. As long as all the moving parts and oil passageways are unencumbered by the varnish it is little more tahn discoloration of the metal. If it becomes gummy and thick and interferes with anything or is thick enough to act as an insualtor against heat transfer it is a problem. If itnot waht is there to worry about? A clean engine is nice to look at but many here put too much value on shiney new metal clean engines. Telling someone that a thin layer of varnish in a 96 bulk oil serviced vehicle is in need of a "fix" is silly. The best fix for tis Saturn is continued service and not worrying about cosmetics.

You're right. It is nothing more than a car I received for free that is a daily driver/beater. I'd bother cleaning the system if it enhanced performance, but the car is averaging 31MPG, you can't beat that for a 10 year old car w/ 100k on it.

I still want to do an UOA on it just to see what the oil looks like after 3-4k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back