M1 5W-40 ESP Formula M question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie here, I've searched the archives and haven't found anything about this oil.

I have a MY99 E300, I'd like to use a MB spec 229.5 oil. I've been using M1 0W-40 cause it was suitable for all our cars, now I'm thinking of using this new 229.51 spec oil.

My basic question is, what would be better. 5W-40 ESP Formula M, or take the time to go find Devlac 5W-40, which I haven't any in my local area (19610 zip code). I'll admit I haven't looked too hard for Devlac. I can get any mobil oil (that the MB dealer sells) for 5.95 a quart.

Over at tdiclub, someone asked about the 5w40 ESP the other day. I looked at the specs, and it seems designed for protecting emissions systems more sophisticated than what's in your 1999 E300. I'm not sure it's actually better at engine protection -- it could be, but that's an unknown.

If you want to try the ESP, why not get three oil analysis kits? Test your current (used) oil, the virgin ESP, then the used ESP after a normal OCI. Post the results and provide a service for other BITOG members.

Quote:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Delvac 1 are identical. You should be able to find TDT at WalMart.

You have to keep looking and be careful, look first for 5w-40 then for CJ-4, Mobil 1 is now merely a "brand" put on almost anything. BTW, been looking, have not seen TDT at any of my Wallyworlds.

I just saw the TDT oil at a Wal-Mart in Roanoke, VA. I was surprised to see it, never seen it before, but as someone mentioned it's apparently just remarketed Delvac? Is it cheaper than Delvac? It was about $20 dollars for 5 quarts which sounds like a good deal to me. Has anyone done a VOA yet? I don't know what the latest thoughts are on HDEO in a gas engine (I'm going to go read up on the latest topics on that right now, I've run The 5W-40 synth Rotella T in my turbo car for quite a while) but this Mobil TDT sounds like another viable synthetic for extreme use turbo engines i.e. racing.

Quote:

I just saw the TDT oil at a Wal-Mart in Roanoke, VA. I was surprised to see it, never seen it before, but as someone mentioned it's apparently just remarketed Delvac? Is it cheaper than Delvac? It was about $20 dollars for 5 quarts which sounds like a good deal to me. Has anyone done a VOA yet? I don't know what the latest thoughts are on HDEO in a gas engine (I'm going to go read up on the latest topics on that right now, I've run The 5W-40 synth Rotella T in my turbo car for quite a while) but this Mobil TDT sounds like another viable synthetic for extreme use turbo engines i.e. racing.

You found TDT M1 in 5 quart jugs? All I saw at my wallyworld was gallon jugs of it for 23 bucks and change. I think price per quart came out to something like 5.75.

This started as a Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M question. AFAIK this product is only available at Mercedes dealers in North America. It's not Delvac and it's not TDT (which are identical, BTW).

jnc19610 hasn't been back since his one and only post, so I guess he figured out what oil to use. Or sold his E300. Or decided to go with a really long OCI.

Quote:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Delvac 1 are identical. You should be able to find TDT at WalMart.

not at my walmart.
usa2.gif

we have multiple MB diesels, and though the laterones load soot at a much lower rate, I would advise against looking for a 229.5 oil, and rather go for a decent diesel-spec add package that will protect in the engine better. Though I trust daimler engineers extensively, and many MB dieselers, even 617 and older engine owners got by fine on M1 that has a lowly API CF spec add pack, I feel that it is better to have the additional diesel-specific protection.

If you're getting an oil that is spec 228.3 or 228.5, the HD engine specs, youre essentially getting a 229.3 or 5 oil, the specs are essentially identical.

So a 228.3 HDEO is essentially a 229.3 oil. I dont know how many 228.5 oils there are out there, but they do exist.

Just my 2c after multiple hundreds of thousands of miles...

Best,

JMH

Never heard of the ESP stuff.

TDT just appeared at my Wal-Mart in 4-quart jugs for $22.23, which is $5.50/quart. Mobil's website states that this is identical to Delvac-1.

That said, I would NOT use 0W-40 in a Mercedes diesel. Either 5W-40 or 15W-50 would be fine. Other people have experienced increased hydraulic lifter noise, and increased wear metals in the oil analysis, with the 0W-40. The thin stuff is spec'd by MB for fuel economy, not engine longevity.

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M is only sold at Mercedes dealerships. You will never see it on the shelves at any autoparts store.

I saw several cases of it at TNT Auto Parts in Silver Spring, MD back in the fall. This was also the only shop I could find that had the 5W-40 TDT at the time.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back