GE Night Hawk life expectancy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Cool Blue" 9007 bulbs don't do anything to help the apparently poorly designed lights on my 2000 Grand Caravan, so I've been reading all I can here and on Daniel Stern's site. It looks like the GE Night Hawk is the best bulb for the money for my needs, but I am bothered by the bulb life rating with is only 250 hours. That would be only a few months of winter driving. Do these bulbs typically last much longer than their rating hours?

We've had the Nighthawks in my wife's car for over a year without a failure. Her lights are used every day to work all year.

No, instead of trying something higher power through your poorly designed headlens shell, consider installing a good set of driving light instead.

Afterall: in town/city all that you ever need is a properly scattered light pattern (low beam).

Quote:

No, instead of trying something higher power through your poorly designed headlens shell, consider installing a good set of driving light instead.

Afterall: in town/city all that you ever need is a properly scattered light pattern (low beam).

Quest:
We live on a farm about 17 miles from the nearest city. Good high beams are important to me. The design of the front end of the Grand Caravan makes it undesireable to mount a set of driving lights, which start at about $150.00. I have mounted driving and fog lights on numerous vehicles over the years, but these new cars with the plastic bumpers are a pain, IMHO. I may end up using driving lights anyway, but I surely do not look forward to mounting them.

Quote:

Quote:

Quest:
We live on a farm about 17 miles from the nearest city. Good high beams are important to me. The design of the front end of the Grand Caravan makes it undesireable to mount a set of driving lights, which start at about $150.00. I have mounted driving and fog lights on numerous vehicles over the years, but these new cars with the plastic bumpers are a pain, IMHO. I may end up using driving lights anyway, but I surely do not look forward to mounting them.

Edit to previous post: I meant to write "a good set of driving lights".

Bought a set of GE Night Hawks today. I'll try to get them installed tonight, even though it's Christmas Eve. Thanks for all the replies.

They are installed and provide a slight improvement. However, my late mother's 20 yr old Buick with no upgrade in the stock OEM headlights are far better. They (high beams)light up the road way more than my Grand Caravan. It's not an aiming problem as the van lights can be adjusted for vertical movement only, and I have tried that. These headlight housings are just plain poor design. The lenses are not cloudy either, clear as clean glass. I don't think 100 watt high beam bulbs would help much, even if I put a relay kit on it. Anyone ever mount a set of driving lights on a late model Caravan with a plastic front end?
frown.gif

96XJ, sounds like you've ruled many things out. What is the status on your Alt/battery and the rest of the charging system? Maybe the culprit here?
dunno.gif

I bought the nighthawks as well and the improvment for my vehicles was worth the buy IMO.

Quote:

They are installed and provide a slight improvement. However, my late mother's 20 yr old Buick with no upgrade in the stock OEM headlights are far better. They (high beams)light up the road way more than my Grand Caravan. It's not an aiming problem as the van lights can be adjusted for vertical movement only, and I have tried that. These headlight housings are just plain poor design. The lenses are not cloudy either, clear as clean glass. I don't think 100 watt high beam bulbs would help much, even if I put a relay kit on it. Anyone ever mount a set of driving lights on a late model Caravan with a plastic front end?
frown.gif

I haven't noticed any lighting issues with a standard halogen replacement on the wifes 2000. I adjusted the lights up slightly and she runs her driving lights that came on the van on low beam.

Doesn't all the bumpers have the holes for the factory driving lights ? If so add them ?

Quote:

I haven't noticed any lighting issues with a standard halogen replacement on the wifes 2000. I adjusted the lights up slightly and she runs her driving lights that came on the van on low beam.

Doesn't all the bumpers have the holes for the factory driving lights ? If so add them ?

The only holes in my bumber have OEM fog lights in them.

I put in a pair of German made Hella dual bulb H7 units in my 04 Town & Country. I selected Hella h7+30 bulbs for the lows and h7 bases with h9 globes in the highs. I also installed relays and wired directly to ground with 16g wires. The difference is well worth the effort if you get a decent price off of a European e-bay site.

Richard.

Since Xtravisions aren't available in 9005 for the brights on our impala I'm going to look for the Nighthawks as Mr. Stern had some good info on them on the positive side.
throwroses.sml

Quote:

Quote:

That would be your driving lights. Fog lights typically have yellow lenses or yellow bulbs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That would be your driving lights. Fog lights typically have yellow lenses or yellow bulbs.

Actually, very few OEM fog lights are yellow. The stock fog lights on my Chrysler are white. In fact, the only OEM stock yellow fog lights I ever see are on some Japanese cars and SUVs, and some older Benz models.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong ! They only work with the low beams. They are fog lights.

This thread seems like off topic. The original question was: GE Night Hawk life expectancy.

The answer: they are varies depend on which type of Nighthawk you got.

Check this out. http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProduct...ODGE%2C+Caravan

They are actually 4 types of Nighthawk 9007 out there. Each has different rated life: 150 OR 350.

I checked my 9006 twin pack I got from Walmart and they are the longer life version (850 v.s. 450). Checking the UPC is the only way to verify which one you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back