Dunlop SP60 tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with this tire? The tread pattern looks very meaty for an all season tire and quite capable in snow and light mud.
cheers.gif

Looks don't mean a thing. The exact same tire can be made to work well on a high speed track or on a cold ice and snow covered road, or on a dry or on a wet road surface just by changing the rubber compound. You can't get all these qualities into one final product. The D-60's I used were OK but did not last. But this product sold today may be quite different then the tires I purchased a few years ago. Why not stick with tires Consumer Reports noted worked well on ice and snow. There were several.

I find that the Goodyear Triple Tread and Michlin HydroEdge worked well for me but there are even better for snow and ice conditions.

Richard.

I currently have Goodyear Comfortreads, with additional safety siping, and they flat out suck on moderately deep snow. However, they are just about to the wear bars so...

I don't get consumer reports; could you perhaps list the best 3 all season tires they rated for snow use?

I guess the questions to ask are tire size, what car, driving style, what conditions, and budget. Just as a suggestion, the SP Sport A2 Plus seems to be a step up at about the same price, but with somewhat lower rated treadwear.

I don't particularly like Consumer Reports because often their rating criteria is bizarre, and their test procedures suspect. I swear they often make things up when there are industry standard tests that could have been used.

185/65-14s for a 94 Corolla. I wouldn't even consider the SP Sport A2s since I'm looking for something that is good in snow but can be run all year. If I was to actually do the smart thing
grin.gif
and run snow tires in the winter, SP A2s would be at the top of my list for summer tires though.

After researching things some more, I think I'm gonna go with Arizonian (Kelly made Discount Tire brand) Silver Editions. They are the closest thing to a true snow tire than can legitimately be run all year, short of something like Nokian tires, that I've found.

For a tire that small, I would strongly recommend the Kumho A/S 795 Touring tire. Excellent in anything from 1/2 inch to 14+ inches (had fun in a blizzard). Handles high speeds well, but not a racing tire, and are very affordable. Should run you about $200 installed for all 4. Only thing about them is that they "sing" a little bit on normal dry roads. A little irritating at first, but you get used to it pretty quick.

Actually the Kumho A/S 795's have been replaced by the Solus KH16's. They are fantastic tires for the money (about $40/tire for a 195/65/15) and offer a sporty little ride with good driving dynamics both in the dry and the wet and handle snow as well.

My sister's used Jetta had SP60s on it, and they were a beefy tread, but no significant road noise. That's about all I know from my brief experience with them.

The Kumho Solus KH16s always get great reviews, as do the Yokohama AVID TRZs, which is what I'm currently running, and could honestly not think of a better price/performance ratio tire than it right now. I'm way more than impressed for $74 per tire...

Yeah i looked at the TRZ's, the D60's and the KH's for the girlfriends car but in the end, I knew she wouldnt notice the difference between the TRZ and the KH's.

For snow and ice traction CU found that the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred and the Toyo 800 Ultra were best in the all-season group they tested.

Richard.

Quote:

Actually the Kumho A/S 795's have been replaced by the Solus KH16's. They are fantastic tires for the money (about $40/tire for a 195/65/15) and offer a sporty little ride with good driving dynamics both in the dry and the wet and handle snow as well.

The Solus KH16 are not replacements for the A/S 795. They (the KH16s) are Grand Touring tires, which is a totally different category than touring. The A/S 795 still exists and are being made by Kumho. I JUST check the Kumho site, and they were still there.

I actually ment the KH14's...while they havent fully replaced the 795's they are the newest offering from Kumho into the Touring category.

just looked and the difference in price between the 795's and the KH16's is only $2-3 per tire. In the end, id go with the KH16's. Same all weather performance with an added edge in wet and dry traction and steering response.

Just found this on Kumho USA's site

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA… October 31, 2006… The SOLUS KR21 is KUMHO’s newest touring tire, supplanting the 732 and 795 in the KUMHO lineup. The SOLUS KR21 delivers a refined balance of high mileage, low noise and exceptional ride comfort, along with all-season traction and confidence-inspiring handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back