Super Tech filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the oil on my wife's 02 prizm. I usually use an A/C delco pf 1233 filter which had the ADBV in the bottom with exposed spring. The new Delcos have the blue button in them instead of spring. I am a Wally World Tech and have noticed the Super Tech filters are identical to the new Delcos in every way now and half the price. I chose the Super Tech and am well pleased. I never recommend the orange doom Fram can to anyone. They are I believe junk. I have had to use the fram on my wife's car a few times and I do notice more valve train noise. Even using the better Tough Guard Fram had more noise. I would not ever hesitate to recomment Super Tech over the Fram. Does any one know if there is a higher capacity filter to correspond to the ST4967 Super Tech filter out there?

Okie, like a true Sooner, you are a man of integrity. The local Wally World here always pushes the Fram on customers. They give me an odd look when I bring in a PPOne or Oem filter when I have my oil changed there. Overall, they do a good job ( I do watch them, always) and don't mind if I do bring in my own filters.

I have use the tiny filter that my 2003 Camry calls for for everything from 10,000 mile single oil change to 3000 mile oil change with no real difference. I even ran one for two OCI's. In fact the one on my car is on it's second OCI. TO be fair the first OCI on this filter was really short I put on 5000 miles rigt at the start of winter makeing long road trips in a three week time frame. I knew the oil would not make it another 5 months and one weeks so I simply drained the crankcase and added fresh oil. I left the filter in place. Unless one has a sludge beast I see no reason why a filter would be limited to such a short milage as 5000 miles! How much dirt do you suppose is being caught? My filter always look like new or close to it when I cut them open. Only the inner most bend where it transitions from one pleat to the next ever has anything that can be seen or felt.

Quote:

the ADBV in the bottom with exposed spring.

It's actually the bypass valve that is located at the bottom. I tried an older AC 1233 on My Corolla and it gave me horrible startup noise. The 4967 Supertechs with the new style bypass valve are whisper quiet.

There is actually a larger filter specification for these Toyotas, primarily for the Camry; it's about a half inch longer. Unfortunately there is no Supertech of this size or AC Delco. There is the Purolator L14477 (instead of the 14476), along with Wix 1396 (instead of the 1394). You can also get the larger size factory filter at a Toyota dealer.

However, the stock size is perfectly fine. In fact, in the Wix lineup, the actual filter element is identical between both filters, just the can is longer for the 1396.

welcome.gif

The ST-3614 will work very well on your Prizm. I used this filter for the last 100,000 miles on my '95 Corolla. It's bigger, and the gasket diameter is larger but it fits on the 1.8 liter engine quite well.

BTW: I got rid of my Corolla at 296,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back