Nokian Summer Tires ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any experience with Nokian Summer Tires?
Especially interested in Nokian NRHi. Thank You.

I've read a few comments from people who run NRVi - they praise them for excellent wet traction and quietness and comfort. Not sure about things like tread wear and steering response.

I'm wondering what's the difference between nrhi and nrvi? Because they look absolutely the same. I also remember reading tire comparison test and while nrvi came in second and were praised for their wet capabilities, their wet braking was only 8th place. same guys tested nrhi and had only good things to say about them.

I like the NRHi on my car (Mercedes 1992 300TE) have no complaints and will buy them again. Treadwear is not that great, I will probably get about 40kmiles out of them. I tried Michelin MVX plus (bad in wet, cornering not great either), Yokohama something all season (very bad, had to rebalance often, very harsh ride). NRVi seem to wear faster also.
Bruno

Quote:

I like the NRHi on my car (Mercedes 1992 300TE) have no complaints and will buy them again. Treadwear is not that great, I will probably get about 40kmiles out of them. I tried Michelin MVX plus (bad in wet, cornering not great either), Yokohama something all season (very bad, had to rebalance often, very harsh ride). NRVi seem to wear faster also.
Bruno

Thanks for reply Bruno. Is NRHi a performance tire? are they really that good on wet? everybody seem to praise goodyear eagle f1 nowdays which cost as much as nokians but nokian nrhi is the only good tire i can find for my civic that's why i'm interested it them.
my mom's elanra got michelin energy mvx plus but i can't comment much on them.

NRHi is more of a touring tire, definitely not in the same performance category as F1 GS-D3 from Goodyear. NRHi will be less-performance oriented (doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad in the rain), but will be more comfortable, quiet, and will last longer. Nokian actually gives 50K mile treadwear warranty with the NHRi. You won't see anything like this on the F1. Unless you race that Civic on the track, I don't see why you'd need something like the F1 for it. NRHi would be a more civilized, adequate choice for your car.

As far as Michelin MXV4+ Energy, they're very mediocre in my experience and way overpriced for what they offer. They're comfortable, but that's about it. Everything else sucks about them. I wouldn't want them on my car if they were free.

Quote:

NRHi is more of a touring tire, definitely not in the same performance category as F1 GS-D3 from Goodyear. NRHi will be less-performance oriented (doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad in the rain), but will be more comfortable, quiet, and will last longer. Nokian actually gives 50K mile treadwear warranty with the NHRi. You won't see anything like this on the F1. Unless you race that Civic on the track, I don't see why you'd need something like the F1 for it. NRHi would be a more civilized, adequate choice for your car.

As far as Michelin MXV4+ Energy, they're very mediocre in my experience and way overpriced for what they offer. They're comfortable, but that's about it. Everything else sucks about them. I wouldn't want them on my car if they were free.

I got Michelins with the car i didn't bought them, so I don't sweat it. I've heard from several people that Michelin in general are way overpriced for what they offer.

As for Nokians there is a problem. Noikian USA website just got renewed and doesn't give any performance categories for their tires. it doesn't even tell you if it's summer or all season tires like old version of their website did. now it's divided just in vehicle type and summer or winter categories. poor job. I think i'm gonna give them a call and advise them about their problems.
The reason i mentioned eagles f1 is because they are great tires and most importantly NRHi would probably cost as much. as for warranty i don't care because good traction tires usually don't offer any, it makes sense. softer tire-better traction. I don't want those rock hard, forever wearing, penny saving, low traction #@$%!. safety and performance is more important to me coz i drive pretty fast and agressive.

Thanks for your input quattropete it's quite usefull. I prolly go for nrhi if my nokian dealer will be reasonable about price.

Quote:

as for warranty i don't care because good traction tires usually don't offer any, it makes sense. softer tire-better traction. I don't want those rock hard, forever wearing, penny saving, low traction #@$%!. safety and performance is more important to me coz i drive pretty fast and agressive.

Hey, I am the same way when it comes to tires. I just didn't know what your personal requirements were. Some people just go for long treadwear and low price and ignore everything else. I didn't know which group you were in.
smile.gif

F1 GS-D3 will probably be my next tire. I am dearly disappointed with Dunlop Maxx and Dunlop customer service at this point. F1 GS-D3 tread pattern is a bit too rice/street racer-looking for me, but if I can get past that, I know they've won a lot of performance tests and are good tires.

Quote:

As for Nokians there is a problem. Noikian USA website just got renewed and doesn't give any performance categories for their tires. it doesn't even tell you if it's summer or all season tires like old version of their website did.

Go to their European site: it still has the summer/winter division:
http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_en

It's just that the concept of "all-season" tires in Europe is not very common these days. People there (here actually, since I'm in Poland at the moment) consider "all-season" as "no-season" - majority own two dedicated sets of tires.
So the NRHi is classified as a summer tire. Similarly, the WR is classified as a winter tire, whereas in the US it has been marketed as an "all-season" tire since day 1.

that's fine because a also shop for my mom's car tires and she isn't that fast and furious like me, but still drive spirited and many miles every day too,that's why i want her to have safe tires with good traction too. so your insights regarding nrhi's came in handy as well!

I just read a performance tire test in big foreign car mag that was conducted in africa with emphasis on wet traction and eagles f1 came in first. contenders were:Continental SportContact 2, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Nokian Z, Pirelli P Zero Nero.

also eagles were first in car and driver comparo so i guess they are that good.

Quote:

Quote:

As for Nokians there is a problem. Noikian USA website just got renewed and doesn't give any performance categories for their tires. it doesn't even tell you if it's summer or all season tires like old version of their website did.

Go to their European site: it still has the summer/winter division:
http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_en

It's just that the concept of "all-season" tires in Europe is not very common these days. People there (here actually, since I'm in Poland at the moment) consider "all-season" as "no-season" - majority own two dedicated sets of tires.
So the NRHi is classified as a summer tire. Similarly, the WR is classified as a winter tire, whereas in the US it has been marketed as an "all-season" tire since day 1.

no Nokian USA have that summer and winter categories too. but older version of their web site before it's got redisigned listed performance categories just as well.

for example:

wr-all weather
i3-all season
nrhi,nrvi-summer
z,nry-summer performance

something like that. that way you know exactly what you getting. if they won't change it i guess you have to call or email them with specific tire question before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back